Profitec Pro 300 - Quick review

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Eagleboy99

#1: Post by Eagleboy99 »

Spoiled by my Pro 600 which was a replacement for my on-death's-door Expobar Brewtus IV, I sprang for Pro 300 to hopefully get a more portable machine to be used at the summer place and an occasional road trip. Looked at a few brands, and based on my 600's superlative performance, I went for the 300. Here's a few Pros/Cons from my two weeks with it.

Pros:
- awesome construction quality. Way better than my Expobar. It is art in polished stainless.
- fast steam boiler heat up time
- good water management (i.e. not blowing excess water through the vent)
- super quiet vibration pump
- good steam with a two-hole tip and easy-to-create quality microfoam
- integrated shot timer on PID - how did I live without one until my 600 and now 300?
- nice compact form and reasonable wait for moving around
- ring brew group works surprisingly well

Cons:
- boiler leaks right from the factory. Needs to be pulled completely apart for repair and I am not doing that on a new $2500 machine. Don't they test these things?
- Interestingly the steam boiler (I had it apart looking for the leak which sadly was not a simple hose fitting) is not level - almost like the mounting is wrong or bent
- ECO mode is useless (see separate rant on ECO mode) since it is impossible to turn off the display in ECO mode
- PID controller as a shot timer can not be seen when you are actually pulling a shot
- cheap plastic steam and water knobs, but at least they are replaceable with wood
- a butt-ugly simple toggle switch for coffee extraction. My Rancilio at least had a nice rocker switch
- two finger holes to lift the cover to water tank means dust and bugs have access to the pool
- the steam wand is really short so if you are using a large pitcher it will be an issue: I am not so it is OK
- Pressure gauge is for steam, not coffee. Why they could not use a dual function gauge is beyond me

I've spent about two weeks with this thing and while it produces decent coffee (I have two grinders and have experimented with everything) it does not hold a candle to my 600 in terms of shot quality. That, and the fact it is defective literally out of the box says it is going back. The dealer cannot get me a new one for some reason and offered to repair it or refund me but at this pricepoint...

back to R&D for a new portable-ish machine. Maybe LeLit or QuickMill...

skansen

#2: Post by skansen »

Eagleboy99 wrote:back to R&D for a new portable-ish machine. Maybe LeLit or QuickMill...
if you are looking for a "portable machine", Breville Dual Boiler can be interesting option.

Eagleboy99 (original poster)

#3: Post by Eagleboy99 (original poster) »

Thanks. Not keen on Chinese-made espresso machines though. And not at the price point the BDB sells at. I'll probably start a new thread like "Help me blow lotsa cash on a portable espresso machine". :)

palica

#4: Post by palica »

Eagleboy99 wrote: Pros:
- awesome construction quality. Way better than my Expobar. It is art in polished stainless.

Cons:
- boiler leaks right from the factory. Needs to be pulled completely apart for repair and I am not doing that on a new $2500 machine. Don't they test these things?
- Interestingly the steam boiler (I had it apart looking for the leak which sadly was not a simple hose fitting) is not level - almost like the mounting is wrong or bent
Thank you for your report about this machine. Much appreciated.

To me, the 3 points above are in contradiction :mrgreen:

Polished stainless does have nothing to do with construction quality. Finish quality maybe.

#5: Post by Eagleboy99 (original poster) »

Fair point about the SS polish. I should have stated that the gap tolerances were really close, lending credence to my comment on construction quality . My Expobar Brewtus was a chop-shop job; this thing is really precise.

The two boilers are different. One is SS and the coffee is brass. The brass one leaks and the SS steam boiler looks like it was installed bent.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

At first read, it sounds like perhaps the Pro300 suffered from shipping damage.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

JRising
Team HB

#7: Post by JRising replying to baldheadracing »

Yeah.
I'm curious as heck. I wish the description of the purported leak got as much attention as how the metal box is pretty. Those little Pro 300 HX machines are pretty tough.

But I'm also curious about why the Rancilio Silvia can't be a travelling machine... (And I also want ice cream).

SutterMill

#8: Post by SutterMill »

baldheadracing wrote:At first read, it sounds like perhaps the Pro300 suffered from shipping damage.
This was my first thought. I have a PP300 and it had none of the structural issues reported. I could see how even with a properly packaged machine, if given enough of a sudden shock such as a drop some internal mounts could bend. I would also credit the leak to this as well.
Eagleboy99 wrote: Pros:
- fast steam boiler heat up time
- good water management (i.e. not blowing excess water through the vent)
- super quiet vibration pump
- good steam with a two-hole tip and easy-to-create quality microfoam
- integrated shot timer on PID - how did I live without one until my 600 and now 300?
- nice compact form and reasonable wait for moving around
- ring brew group works surprisingly well
My thoughts. I agree with all of these Pros. I removed the pro of construction quality because my last machine was a Breville Duo Temp Pro. I have no experience close to this price range to compare with, but yes its MUCH more somid than my last machine.

My thoughts on your points below.
Eagleboy99 wrote:
Cons:

Possible shipping or transportation damage?

- ECO mode is useless (see separate rant on ECO mode) since it is impossible to turn off the display in ECO mode

I somewhat agree with this. Why ECO mode doesnt sh** off the steam boiler is a mystery. I think Jeff nailed it. It was to be in compliance, not an added function.

- PID controller as a shot timer can not be seen when you are actually pulling a shot

THIS!! The PID and pressure gauge would have been much better if placed higher on the machine

- cheap plastic steam and water knobs, but at least they are replaceable with wood.

Op paid $2500 for this. Granted this is $900 more than I paid I would expect better as well.

- a butt-ugly simple toggle switch for coffee extraction. My Rancilio at least had a nice rocker switch
- two finger holes to lift the cover to water tank means dust and bugs have access to the pool

The manual states the tank should be emptied after every brew session. Dust/bugs should not be an issue. There are handle mods easily available.

- the steam wand is really short so if you are using a large pitcher it will be an issue: I am not so it is OK

Spot on

- Pressure gauge is for steam, not coffee. Why they could not use a dual function gauge is beyond me

Again. Spot on. I can't imagine there was a significant savings by not using a dual pressure gauge. Granted you couldnt see it anyway given the placement.
To Eagleboy99. Given the same approximate price range and the fact you want something more portable I would recommend the Lelit Elizabeth. Its about 12lbs lighter rhan the PP300, has more automatic functions and is more compact. The Ukla pump is rumored to be quiet and the ability to pre-infuse may be the ticket to getting closer to flavor along the lines of the PP600

SutterMill

#9: Post by SutterMill »

JRising wrote:Yeah.
I'm curious as heck. I wish the description of the purported leak got as much attention as how the metal box is pretty. Those little Pro 300 HX machines are pretty tough.

But I'm also curious about why the Rancilio Silvia can't be a travelling machine... (And I also want ice cream).

#10: Post by Eagleboy99 (original poster) »

Nope. The box is fine and if you ever bought a Profitec machine the packing is amazing.