Profitec Pro 300 PID temperature after extraction

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Bigwavedave22

#1: Post by Bigwavedave22 »

Just picked up the 300. So far it's been great. One thing I was wondering, should I be concerned if the PID drops to 185 immediately after an extraction? Also curious on the groups thoughts on getting the profitec pro 600 vs 300 in terms of features and consistency. Obviously the 600 has a much larger boiler, so it might not have this issue.

GregoryJ

#2: Post by GregoryJ »

I don't own a Pro 300, so I don't know what others get, but I don't think that's a cause of concern. The boiler is 325mL and you use about 60mL to brew (also assume the brew is set to 200F and the reservoir is at 70F) then the temperature after brewing would be:

(265 * 200 + 60 * 70 ) / 325 = 176 F

With a little bit of heating during the shot, and not sure where the brew boiler temperature is measured, then 185 F seems pretty reasonable.

kenyabob

#3: Post by kenyabob »

Interestingly, in the original 300 user thread, Fausto actually has the opposite experience

Profitec Pro 300 User Experience

JayBeck

#4: Post by JayBeck »

I believe originally, the PID overheated the water for many users but the PID firmware has since been updated to prevent this and what you are seeing is normal. The temperature probe is in the top of the boiler so when the cool water fills it during a shot it will reduce the temperature on the readout. This is not necessarily the temperature hitting the puck. The important information is to not pull a second shot until the temperature has recovered on the display to your set temperature.

If you watch any of the espresso.tv videos on the Pro 300, the machine behaves similarly.