Profitec GO - Slow pressure build up first shot

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
FP_1989

#1: Post by FP_1989 »

Hello,
First post here. I am new to the home espresso world and I recently bought my first home set: Profitec Go paired with Eureka Mignon Specialita.

Since the beginning I noticed that the pressure builds up much slower in the first extraction than in following one's.
When I prepare the first espresso after switching on the machine and letting it get warm and at the coffer PID temperature, after pressing the coffee extraction button, the pressure gauge stays at zero for 8-10 seconds, and then it ramps up to the normal level.
When I prepare the second and following espresso shots, it takes only 3-5 seconds for the pressure gauge to show pressure moving from zero and moving up.

Due to this behaviour the first coffee drops come at different time between the first and the following extractions.
I have read slower pressure build up in normal for these types of pumps, but I am not sure why the extractions after the first are faster than the first. Anyone having some hints on this?

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

I'd try flushing some water out of the group before the first shot. The piping and internals may not be full first thing in the morning.

kirby

#3: Post by kirby »

I agree with trying the flush. I had a similar issue with a Gaggia Classic Pro. My issue was related to steaming. That was the last thing I was doing every day, but I was not running enough water to completely refill the boiler. Thus, the first shot of the next day would take longer to build pressure.

FP_1989 (original poster)

#4: Post by FP_1989 (original poster) »

Thanks for the tips!
I normally only drink espresso so there should not be any issue linked with steaming.
I tried a 2-second water flush 30 second before pulling the shot this morning and the time was indeed a bit faster (pressure on the gauge started moving after around 5 seconds). I did not have time to pull a second shot this morning but will try with back to back shots tomorrow and see how it works.

sympa

#5: Post by sympa »

It's exactly the same with my Go (first shot: 5-8 seconds; subsequent shots: 3-5 seconds). So you can probably be assured that your machine isn't faulty. It's just how the Go works. The only annoyance I find with this is that it affects how you calculate shot times.

jesdotdk

#6: Post by jesdotdk »

If it's important for you to have the profile of the initial shot matching the subsequent ones, you might try running a blank shot with the blind basket initially.

sympa

#7: Post by sympa »

Interestingly, with the blind basket, the initial "shot" also has a 6-8 second pressure build-up time. Learned this the first time I backflushed.

#8: Post by FP_1989 (original poster) »

Yes, indeed tested also with the blind basket and for me it starts at 5-6 seconds for the first shot if I do a water flush of 3 seconds in the 30 seconds before pulling the shot. Fine, it looks like it is a common feature of the go so I will try to time the shots from when the pressure starts to move to have consistent timing extractions.

JRising
Team HB

#9: Post by JRising »

Any Single Boiler machine that starts with the boiler not full will take some time to fill the boiler before the water level gets high enough to start flowing down the outlet pipe to the brew valve...

If you make sure to top it up the night before, before you shut it down, does the first shot still longer? If so, then the water is escaping somewhere. (Potential places for the boiler water to escape include a leaking OPV, a leaking brew valve, an internally leaking check valve, and leaking inlet fitting or boiler o-ring.
I strongly suspect that it's a matter of not topping up the boiler before brewing rather than a leak unless the machine is several years old.

#10: Post by FP_1989 (original poster) »

Actually paying attention by getting close to the top of the machine with my ears I started hearing yesterday a sound similar to very tiny water drops coming from inside. Can it be then that there is some leaking of the boiler water? Any hint on how I can verify this?