Profitec 500 - steam wand starting blowing too much air?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
zanna5910

#1: Post by zanna5910 »

Just a few days ago this started happening. It seems the steam wand isnt blowing steam, its blowing something more "airy" with less moisture.

It seems it doesnt even create steamed milk or foam anymore, its just weak and bubbly that just dissipates back to hot milk basically.

Anyone experience something like this and have any suggestions? I think its time to probably clean the tip out and wand out and start there. Thoughts?

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

The steam wand can't blow air as all the boiler contains is steam. Sounds more like it not blowing enough steam which means take it apart and figure out where the blockage is or see if the temperature of the steam boiler is to low. Can't imagine anything else that would cause a problem like that.

Ira

Advertisement
Shife

#3: Post by Shife »

ira wrote:The steam wand can't blow air as all the boiler contains is steam.
Ira
There is actually an exception to that - Machines that use auto-frothers such as the Oracle and handful of commercial machines. They use an air pump to simulate the air mixing that would occur when manually steaming a pitcher. Of course that doesn't apply here and this post isn't really relevant to the thread.

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

Really, seems like overkill and prone to breakage, I thought they just relied on the steam blowing past a hole to pull in air.

Ira

zimberto

#5: Post by zimberto »

Sounds like it isn't heating as much as it should - maybe a thermostat issue. If it's still under warranty, call the store you got it from and have them help. If not... are you a religious person?

zanna5910 (original poster)

#6: Post by zanna5910 (original poster) »

Thanks for all the help. I started with the kiss method, took the nozzle off and gave it a good cleaning and cleaned out the steam holes and that solved the problem.

zimberto

#7: Post by zimberto replying to zanna5910 »

Good to hear. My bad, but it never even occurred to me that you might not be cleaning your steam tip. Cleaning your equipment after each use and performing regular inspections should be like breathing. What about the other areas... are you back flushing regularly... using detergent occasionally... washing your hands after a visit to the bathroom? :lol:

Advertisement
Shife

#8: Post by Shife »

ira wrote:Really, seems like overkill and prone to breakage, I thought they just relied on the steam blowing past a hole to pull in air.

Ira
Never had an issue when I had my Oracle. I can't speak to the commercial machines. Air pump duration during the first part of the cycle is what adjusted the texture of the milk. Lots of air injected for capp and a little air for latte. The "bubble frothers" on the super autos do as you imagined, by using a venturi to mix the air.