Problems with pump during steaming - Sage/Breville Barista Pro

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
banan911

#1: Post by banan911 »

I have suddenly encountered a huge issue with my Sage/Breville Barista Pro. Out of the blue the machine has started to randomly pump large amounts of water into the thermocoil when steaming. Instead of the regular small pulses from the thermocoil during steaming (see Youtube clip of a normal working machine), sometimes the pump sends larger amounts of water into the thermocoil (see Youtube clip of a my machine), resulting in large amounts of steam and a uncontrollable pressure when steaming.

The pressure when brewing, back flushing and from the hot water tap is fine. There's only an issue when steaming, so everything else works fine.

I've send the machine to the local distributor of Sage/Breville in Denmark for repairs (3 times), but they are so incompetent and say there are no issues, and that I should clean the steam tip :/

What could be the issue? Solenoid valves?

Normal working machine
My machine

dndrich

#2: Post by dndrich »

I just replaced mine with a Lelit Elizabeth, but that ain't right. Mine never did anything like that after 2 years of daily use. I think the only thing to try is to decalcify and clean the wand. There is a hidden trick for the decalcification of the steam side. You hold the double shot and power button for 5 seconds. That sets up the decalcify state of the machine. Then, you can send water straight through the wand when you open the wand valve. If you have not been doing that it could be your problem.

banan911 (original poster)

#3: Post by banan911 (original poster) »

Funny. I've actually ordered a Elizabeth as well because I'm so done with this :D

Beware it's a Barista Pro and not A Barista Express. I've run the descale process many times. There's no issue with running water/descaler through the wand.

dndrich

#4: Post by dndrich »

Oops. Wrong machine...

dndrich

#5: Post by dndrich »

banan911 wrote:Funny. I've actually ordered a Elizabeth as well because I'm so done with this :D

Beware it's a Barista Pro and not A Barista Express. I've run the descale process many times. There's no issue with running water/descaler through the wand.
The Elizabeth is absolutely fantastic. You will love it. I do.