Problem with Faema boiler water level probe

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jaydavid

#1: Post by jaydavid »

Hello,

I have a Faema machine for 6 years (EURO2000). No dramatic problem since I purchase it.

I have an issue with filling water into the boiler. This is the diagnostics checks I've made:

When water level drops - pump will not start
when taking out the wire connecting the Giemme brain to the Probe - the pump will not start
When brewing coffee - pump starts and I'm able to brew coffee when boiler has water in it (=? pump is working fine)

This is interesting:
When brewing coffee and the wire to the Probe is not connected (took it out) - pump starts *and* also fill water into the boiler (when closing brewing - pump continues until re-wire the Probe)
Now - each time I'm brewing the boiler fills upon needed. The trigger is always the brewing. No autofill based on probing....

I do not understand why the machine will not trigger the pump to fill water when the wire to the Probe is disconnected.
Why opening the brewing will trigger the machine also to fill water to the boiler.

I'm lost here. Will be happy for any direction to fix the problem.

Thank you,
Jacob

barry

#2: Post by barry »

sounds like your machine needs a new brain board.

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

My first though as well. You can test it by doing this (CAREFULLY!):
- Allow machine to warm up
- disconnect pump leads
- remove the water-level sensor lead
- touch the lead to a ground repeatedly.
You should hear the fill solenoid click for each tough, and again on the removal from ground

Beyond that, I have to guess because I do not know that machine nor could I easily find any good info on it.. A schematic would be helpful. If it has a separate brew solenoid, disconnect that and turn on the brew function. If the fill solenoid clicks then, you have a control box problem (assuming that someone hasn't messed with the wiring recently). I am wondering if the boiler is refilling because there is a rupture in the heat exchanger that fills the boiler during the brew cycle...?
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

jaydavid (original poster)

#4: Post by jaydavid (original poster) »

Thanks. I will try this today.

BTW #1 - when brewing, I hear the Solenoid clicking. I will try these experiments.
BTW #2 - I replaced two months ago the brain's transformer. It has a bit different current data: 1.8VA compared with 2.5VA. Would you think this may be a reason for the machine to behave differently after some time?

BTW #3 - here is a link to the "first look" on the machine https://www.coffeegeek.com/proreviews/f ... xe/details

I have a a schematic in Italian, as I bouht it in Milano. Will send something later, though it looks like very much this schem: http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/heat-exch ... -they-work

Thanks

#5: Post by jaydavid (original poster) »

BTW - This is a picture of the replaced transformer.

#6: Post by jaydavid (original poster) »

jpboyt

#7: Post by jpboyt »

Jacob,
If the new transformer is getting hot due to exceeding it's VA rating you will see items on your board start to drop out due to a drop in available current. VA rating is volts times amperes and applies to both sides of a transformer. Normally if the transformer is undersized you will see a heating of the primary winding which leads to increased impedance. The heating leads to overheated windings and shorting. I have a bucket full of dead transformers that are all puffed up like marshmallows. The biggest use of power in the control box is relays and flowmeters. If the demand on the transformer is too great you will see a drop in the high level DC supply voltage and relays with higher pull in values will start to not work. There are two different DC voltages in your control box.
jpboyt