Problem with drooping E61 brew lever

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ronron

#1: Post by ronron »

Dear fellows
I will appreciate your help with a problem I have with my Cellini espresso machine unit,
When I start lifting the group handle to start the water flow, if there is no pressure the handle will stay up and water will flow, if the machine is ready for use and there is pressure in the barrel the handle will move slightly down and the water flow will stop. The result is that I need to hold the handle during all the process.
Any idea what is the problem?
Appreciate your help
Best regards
Ron

cafeIKE

#2: Post by cafeIKE »

Does the pump continue to run?

If not, the switch cam needs adjustment.

If so, sounds like internal wear in the group.

Advertisement
ronron (original poster)

#3: Post by ronron (original poster) »

1. When it's happens the pump stops (the handled is not reaching the switch).
2. Regarding the switch cam adjustment, the two screws adjusting the switch position on the machine body is on the top end of its position toward the group handle. If it will change to longer switch screw it will probably give the effect of continues pumping but since the machine is under warranty if the problem is in the group I want to fix the core problem and not temporary cheap and simple solution as switch screw replacement that live me with future bigger problem in the group.
3. Regarding group wear, which part is probably causing the problem?
Appreciate your help
Ron

CSME9

#4: Post by CSME9 »

My lever when pushed down (off) would bounce back and not release all the pressure. Turned out the flathead screw on the outside of the cam/lever was loose.

WS

cafeIKE

#5: Post by cafeIKE »

The pump switch engagement is controlled by the switch mounting boss lock nuts

If the cam is tight on the shaft and if the switch is out as far as it can go, then the switch is probably defective.

ronron (original poster)

#6: Post by ronron (original poster) »

Is the lever should stay up and not move during the coffee flow or is it ok that it moves slightly down?
Since if it is not ok the problem probably inside the group but if it's ok the problem is probably with the switch.

erics
Supporter ★

#7: Post by erics »

Everything Ian has advised is correct but you may very well have two problems. The lever moves through a ninety degree angle from all off to all on. A TYPICAL value for the clearance between the lever's cam and the switch when the lever is down is ~ 0.048" = ~ 1.2 mm.

When you lift the lever to brew, it should stay in that position. A diagram from you might be helpful because it is hard to interpret "moves slightly down". As you say the machine is under warranty, here's hoping that the dealer you made the purchase from is in Moscow - I'd make a phone call.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Advertisement
cafeIKE

#8: Post by cafeIKE »

ronron wrote:Is the lever should stay up and not move during the coffee flow or is it ok that it moves slightly down?
I don't know about the Cellini, but both my Vibiemme levers do not move at all from the full up position during a shot.

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

erics wrote:A diagram from you might be helpful because it is hard to interpret "moves slightly down".
The diagram of the E61 parts in the brew position may be helpful:

From Is there a purpose for the E61 middle brew lever position?

When the lever is in the brew position, allowing water to enter the chamber, the leading lobe of the cam shown above is just past the stem that lifts the upper valve. That is, the cam/spring-loaded stem naturally act as a detent. It should not take much resistance to hold the lever in the upper detent position, since it's already held fairly snug in its travel by the sealing O-rings for the cam shaft connected to the lever itself.

Ron didn't mention the age of this machine, but a worn upper stem (#16), worn cam (#6), or weakening upper valve closure spring (#18) could result in less staying power for the lever. E61 Group Espresso Machine: Detailed Interior Schematics and the original E61 patent diagram will make these parts references clearer:

From The E61 Group - Truth and Lies

Coffeetime's How to Lubricate Your E61 Group includes some nice photos and notes a common sign of valve lifter wear is that the lever sometimes drops down on its own when pulling a shot.
Dan Kehn

BricGuy

#10: Post by BricGuy »

Hello All - Ron I hope you got you Cellini fixed! I am having similar problems with a week old Fiorenzato Bricoletta. It was fine when it arrived - now the lever moves anticlockwise about 25 degrees and the pump turns off just as the espresso is beginning to flow (no coffee comes out). I usually re-engage the lever, the pump comes back on and the shot continues as normal. The shots seem fine, but I want to know what's going on and to get it fixed.

From the posts below it sounds like I need to adjust the mounting of the little silver actuator for the pump microswitch. I saw Eric's post about the typical gap - mine seems to be in contact all the time - not sure if this is an issue.

Thanks for your help!