Power usage & efficiency of Breville Dual Boiler?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
nosiesta

#1: Post by nosiesta »

Hi there

Has anyone any thoughts on the power usage of the Breville Dual Boiler? It's rated at 2,200W, but I assume that it only pulls this level when it's heating up, or maybe when it's pulling a shot too?

As it's 2 boilers, is it constantly heating both, or am I right that it heats the steam boiler (not sure on the volume?) and then pulls water into the shot boiler on demand, but via an HX?

Also, mine powers off after 20 mins or so (which you can probably change), but then if you're powering it up an hour later for another shot, is it actually more efficient just to leave it on?

I guess I'm conscious that I only pull a couple of shots a day and it's potentially costing me a lot in power (and the environment). If it's heating x volume, for a 40ml shot, it's not exactly cost efficient!

Any opinions welcome

Thanks

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

It's only using maximum wattage during start-up from cold. Average wattage is probably only a couple of hundred watts as the heating elements are only powered for mainly fractions of a second. If you are in 'heating season' electrical resistance heating is 100% efficient and you're heating anyways. In air-conditioning mode, you're working against the air-conditioning but it's not a big deal.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

nosiesta (original poster)

#3: Post by nosiesta (original poster) »

Thanks lots for the reply. I wonder if it's 'cheaper' to leave it on idling, or turn it off and boot it up again a couple of hours later.

Thanks again.

BaristaBoy E61

#4: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

nosiesta wrote:I wonder if it's 'cheaper' to leave it on idling, or turn it off and boot it up again a couple of hours later.
I would say that it's definitely cheaper to leave it 'On' than to turn it 'OFF' for a few hours. There's also less thermal stress keeping it at idle then going through a greater temperature range from a cold start.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"