Post a pic of your home espresso setup... - Page 779

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
GregoryJ
Supporter ♡

#7781: Post by GregoryJ »

Amberale wrote:I like the WDT rake in the glass of ?rice.
Does that help keep the wires clean?
Yeah the glass of rice is a nice storage container, it cleans and holds the tool well

beer&mathematics

#7782: Post by beer&mathematics »

coyote-1 wrote:image

Welcome! Very nostalgic seeing a Via Venezia since I started on that machine and excitedly posted it to HB :P enjoy the ride :)
LMWDP #431

beer&mathematics

#7783: Post by beer&mathematics »

GregoryJ wrote:Yeah the glass of rice is a nice storage container, it cleans and holds the tool well
Who first came up with the rice trick? Probably my favorite hack since WDT and RDT :)

I just cleaned out the rice after a few months and nice to see it white again haha
LMWDP #431

baldheadracing
Team HB

#7784: Post by baldheadracing »

beer&mathematics wrote:Who first came up with the rice trick? Probably my favorite hack since WDT and RDT :)
I'd say someone on the Espresso Aficionados discord. I first heard of the idea in a YouTube video for a WDT tool that sprung from that server.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

mathof

#7785: Post by mathof »

retireddude wrote:image

I'd like to upgrade from the Niche to a Kafatek conical or, perhaps, a Versalab, but the Niche does such a nice job I'm not in a huge hurry.
From what I understand, you'd only notice a difference with very light roasts.

retireddude

#7786: Post by retireddude replying to mathof »

That's what I've read too. I do enjoy light roasts, but only occasionally, so it's hard to justify as a priority. In terms of build quality and durability, though, I think a Kafatek would be nice.

mathof

#7787: Post by mathof replying to retireddude »

I've had an early Kafatek Monolith Flat since 2016. It's very satisfying to own and to use. It was originally equipped with OEM Mythos burrs, but two years ago when the Shuriken burrs came out, I switched to the Light Medium ones. They are both fine, but the SLMs are better for high-extraction pulls.

coyote-1

#7788: Post by coyote-1 »

beer&mathematics wrote:Welcome! Very nostalgic seeing a Via Venezia since I started on that machine and excitedly posted it to HB :P enjoy the ride :)
Thanks! Was using a Krups Novo 2300 with good success, but this Saeco fell into my lap for $15. Added an unpressurized portafilter, and have now modified it for flow control with a lamp dimmer (small knob). Also adjusted the OPV. Works very well.

Mad Scientist

#7789: Post by Mad Scientist replying to coyote-1 »

Hmm, flow control! How did you do that?

I have a Saeco Rio Vapore. I don't think my OPV is adjustable.

I do have the non-pressurized portafilter and am interested in making these mods too.
“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day

drgary
Team HB

#7790: Post by drgary »

I would be interested to see that topic too, and the best place for it to be easily found is in the Repairs Restorations and Mods forum.

I woke up this morning, and someone had put a Conti Prestina in my dining room closet.

And I laughed at Richard's quote from Doris Day, "You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat."

When my wife posted this photo of me and Ranger on Facebook last Christmas, our dear friend Hank Kirtland asked whether I was considering a career as a cat proctologist. He asked, "Is there an app for that?" Hank passed away about a month ago in his eighties. He made a lot of people laugh and lived a wonderful and full life.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!