Post a pic of your home espresso setup... - Page 771

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pj

#7701: Post by pj »

Been on this forum almost a year now.
Thank you for all the info I got from here.
★ Helpful

KnightOwl

#7702: Post by KnightOwl »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Welcome to HB Joseph.

Your Duetto looks pretty mint. Someone will be getting an excellent machine if you decide to upgrade. It even seems like all the PID LED segments are still functioning from what I can tell.
Thank you. I have certainly tried to keep it in good shape.
bean2friends wrote:That's a beautiful set up you have Joseph. I have to wonder what you think you'll be gaining with an "upgrade" to a mini.
I mean even with my humble Mini Vivaldi, I wonder that. My work flow, my morning espresso drinks are all just exactly what I like. So, while a LInea mini looks cooler than my Vivaldi.... And I don't think you can even say that. Your Duetto looks mighty cool.
Yes let me clarify; upgrade is the wrong word I intend to "update" my setup to suit my goals. I am working on starting a small event catering business. I believe the Alex Duetto III may be capable of handling small events? I just think the Linea Mini will be a better fit. I do understand that in the cup quality won't be much different if at all.

freditoj

#7703: Post by freditoj »

What am I looking at here?

I've never seen any of these devices. They look beautiful!

geeker

#7704: Post by geeker »

Nuova Simonelli Oscar I.

Manufactured April 2013. Known as Mrs. Roosevelt here at the house because she is not as beautiful as her stainless steel sisters, but she is very capable and highly respected.

Purchased used November 2019. My first foray into espresso at home.

She has been in several places in the kitchen and out on the adjacent sun porch, but this current spot seems to be where she will stay.

Maintenance, Mods, and Upgrades:
• Did a full tear-down and assessment of the machine after purchase. I learned a LOT about how it works and how to upgrade/maintain it.
• Replaced boiler insulation
• Replaced pump
• Added vacuum valve
• Installed OPV
• Replaced/upgraded shower screen
• Replaced group head gasket
• Added dual pressure gauge (boiler and pump). Didn't want to drill 2 holes in the housing to install tiny gauges (from a kit) that would be hard to see under the group head. This setup required 2 small holes at edge of where the top and bottom plastic housing meet (for the 2 copper tubes) and one screw in the side of the machine for the gauge housing. Yes, it's janky, but it is easy to see.
• Repurposed old iphone for shot timer. The timer app is pretty simple: tap to start timer; tap again to stop timer; double tap to reset to 0.
• Replaced plastic retaining valve several times until I found the metal version.
• Replaced a couple of small gaskets on the 3-way valve.
• Added 2 small LEDs under the housing next to the group head to illuminate the dance floor better
• The cabinet is a cheap ($50) Ikea black metal jobber. I had some spare leather kicking around, so cut it, dyed it brown, and glued it on to improve the look a bit. Coffee, WDT, towels, scale, etc.,etc. reside in here.

Baratza Vario Grinder:
• Replaced worn belt
• Replaced burrs
• Did the Baratz Vario precision alignment. Great results and fixed a lot of issues with my early attempts to make good espresso. Baratza Vario Super Alignment owner experience

caeffe

#7705: Post by caeffe »

geeker wrote: Nuova Simonelli Oscar I.

Known as Mrs. Roosevelt here at the house because she is not as beautiful as her stainless steel sisters, but she is very capable and highly respected.

Maintenance, Mods, and Upgrades:

• Added dual pressure gauge (boiler and pump). Didn't want to drill 2 holes in the housing to install tiny gauges (from a kit) that would be hard to see under the group head. This setup required 2 small holes at edge of where the top and bottom plastic housing meet (for the 2 copper tubes) and one screw in the side of the machine for the gauge housing. Yes, it's janky, but it is easy to see.
I too have an Oscar - I've named it "Grouch" in honor of the Sesame Street character Oscar and since it "growls" when one turns it on 1st thing in the morning (due to refill of the boiler and the vibe pump). It's also quite grungy looking now since the plastic housing (Silver) is faded and stained.

Have had since ~ 2008/2009? Pump replaced 2x at least, same mods as you except for the gauge. Still going but it's now mostly a glorified steamer since I tend to use the Elektra Microcasa more often. I probably need to replace the vibe pump since it seems to struggle quite a bit (low pressure) when Grouch has been on for hours.

Interested to hear about your thoughts on the "dual pressure gauge" - especially the one for the pump. How useful is it? For "boiler" gauge I have one that replaces the steam tip and I used once in a blue moon to check the Sirai setting and boiler pressure.
I had a vacuum valve installed but it had a small solder leak so it now sits in the drawer. I find releasing false pressure after initial turn on not an issue and one less part to worry about.
LMWDP #162

BaristaBoy E61

#7706: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

freditoj wrote:What am I looking at here?

I've never seen any of these devices. They look beautiful!

What are you looking at?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

ira
Team HB

#7707: Post by ira »

Those are a pair of Titus grinders from Frank Durra if I got the spelling correct. Each is set up with two volume adjustable dispensers so he can choose from 4 coffees anytime he wants to make coffee. They were once and might still be as good as grinders get, but at a price.

freditoj

#7708: Post by freditoj »

New to the forum and don't know how to quote here when I asked what I was looking at.

It's the one with lever machine and two grinders.

Sorry for my noobness haha

Jeff
Team HB

#7709: Post by Jeff »

drgary
Team HB

#7710: Post by drgary »

freditoj wrote:New to the forum and don't know how to quote here when I asked what I was looking at.

It's the one with lever machine and two grinders.

Sorry for my noobness haha
Welcome to H-B! We were all newbies once. Describing what you saw as you just did works fine. You can also quote the post number, which is at the top left.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!