Post a pic of your home espresso setup... - Page 699

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
matthmax
Supporter ♡

#6981: Post by matthmax »

shawndo

#6982: Post by shawndo »

Logga wrote:Hi there, is your Slayer the new version, with new pump etc?, just wondering how you like it
It is the latest model and is very quiet, although I don't remember the noise being significant when I played with one of the 1st gen ones years ago.
I honestly got this machine thinking it still had the original spec gear pump. I only found out recently from slayer that I had the latest model pump. it sounds different than the rotary in my LM. I guess I don't know enough about the pump situation.
The applicable features for me are autobackflush, scheduled power save and good steam.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#6983: Post by Peppersass »

I think Slayer made a smart move switching to the rotary pump. The way the system works, there really is no advantage to having a gear pump, and two disadvantages: less rugged pump and no bypass valve. A rotary pump is more rugged, and the bypass valve protects the pump from the user accidentally closing down the needle valve.

The only reason to have a gear pump for a Slayer shot would be to gradually reduce the speed (and hence the pressure) when the flow speeds up during the back half of the shot, trying to keep a constant flow rate. But the Slayer doesn't offer the ability to dynamically change the pump speed during a shot.

Years ago I replaced the rotary pump in my GS/3 AV with a gear pump so I could do pressure profiling. Recently, I added a "Jake Valve" and a solenoid bypass valve so I can do Slayer shots. I seriously considered going back to the rotary pump, but wanted to retain the ability to dynamically change the pump speed, which I can do with my setup.

unbranded

#6984: Post by unbranded »

shawndo wrote:It is the latest model and is very quiet, although I don't remember the noise being significant when I played with one of the 1st gen ones years ago.
I honestly got this machine thinking it still had the original spec gear pump. I only found out recently from slayer that I had the latest model pump. it sounds different than the rotary in my LM. I guess I don't know enough about the pump situation.
The applicable features for me are autobackflush, scheduled power save and good steam.
Shawn--incredible set up. End-game, to be honest. I'm also in NYC, please adopt me. Would love to play with that Slayer and those Monoliths! I'm hoping to get my hands on either the Flat Max or an EG-1 Onyx from Weber. Both seem very hard to come by these days.

Logga

#6985: Post by Logga »

shawndo wrote:It is the latest model and is very quiet, although I don't remember the noise being significant when I played with one of the 1st gen ones years ago.
Mine arrives in November.
And some more stuff they have done to the new model.

"The Slayer Single Group got a ton of updates!
New Mechanical Rotary Pump
This replaces the electronic gear pump from the previous (Classic) version. The original pump took 3-5 sec to spool up to 9bar while brewing. This new pump will get to 9bar in about a second, making it perform more similarly to our commercial machines. It will also draw water out of a bucket, if necessary, whereas the previous pump needed at least 3bar incoming line pressure to work

New Display
Same interface, but a new LCD display replaces the Classic's OLED display. This is a brighter display (with adjustable brightness) that is burn in and fade resistant, and has improved touch sensitivity
New PCB/SSR/PID/Elements
Short story here is, the Classic was very temperature stable. This update has HUGELY improved temp stability at the group, and steam capacity.

Long story is, we've gotten access to a new style of heating element and SSR that allows us to fire elements on both boilers simultaneously, even on 110v (most every dual boiler home machine fires one element at a time). To take the most advantage of that, we developed new PID math, and built a new circuit board to take the most advantage of these parts.
New Internal Tubing
90%+ of all the internal tubing that was previously plastic or rubber is now copper
New Solenoid Bodies

We've moved to forged valve bodies (same as our commercial machines) to make long-term maintenance easier
New Pressure Transducer
We've moved to a more robust unit, shared with our Steam-based machines for longevity, and the sake of parts consolidation for our reseller and support partners"

redbone

#6986: Post by redbone »

Area is now complete having brought the hutch back in the house. Levers are close by for display and easier swapping.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549
★ Helpful

RikC

#6987: Post by RikC »

I already had the LM Mini, but it was time for a grinder upgrade :D

sosha
Supporter ♡

#6988: Post by sosha »

Beautiful!

What's that on the top shelf, on the the left? Looks like some kind of storage/distributor for sugars......
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

RikC

#6989: Post by RikC »

Thx Sosha!,

Actually that's a 'TwisTea' tea dispenser. I got it for my birthday but I think it's only sold in the Netherlands.

Vitoma

#6990: Post by Vitoma »

Got a new machine today.