Post a pic of your home espresso setup... - Page 632

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Mayhem
Supporter ♡

#6311: Post by Mayhem »

Amal S wrote:Home setup LM Strada EP 1G
Very nice! Would you mind measuring the size of the drain grille for me? Curious whether it would perhaps fit my single group Linea...
Too much is not enough

Amal S

#6312: Post by Amal S replying to Mayhem »

Sure, Let me get back to home and i will.

jhershauer

#6313: Post by jhershauer »

Your informative posts very much influenced my purchase decision. Thank you!
drgary wrote:That's fine by my standards. :D Here's what's currently on my counter.

luckydragon

#6314: Post by luckydragon »

Here's my complete coffee bar:

My espresso setup evolved as follows:
  • Baratza Encore + myPressi Twist
  • Baratza Preciso + Breville Infuser
  • Sette 270 + Profitec Pro 300
  • ECM Synchronika
I plan on getting a Flow Control device from WLL when it comes back in stock or becomes more widely available through other vendors, whichever comes first. Would love to plumb in, but alas I live in a rental unit and there isn't any plumbing behind the bench.

Currently dealing with upgrade-itis with my Sette, trying to decide whether I should wait and try to spring for a Monolith Flat Max, or just "settle" for an Atom 75? Not sure if the Monolith is really worth paying double... (convince me!)

Pretty happy with my Synchronika, though I occasionally have to stifle buyer's remorse for not getting a Decent DE1+ Pro instead, mainly because I drink light-roast espresso and would love to play with flow/pressure profiling, but I also like the Sync's milk steaming capacity (the primary reason for upgrading from the Pro 300). Maybe one day I will be able to afford a GS/3 MP and get the best of both worlds (also when I am no longer living in the boonies and am within reasonable driving distance of a service centre).

DJL

#6315: Post by DJL replying to luckydragon »

Very nice setup. Looks well organized.

sonnylowe

#6316: Post by sonnylowe »

jhershauer wrote:After watching and learning here on the forums for a while, I just upgraded my pressurized basket Delonghi EC702 to a vintage HX machine. It's a 1985 Olympia Maximatic Coffex. This particular machine was just sent to Cerini Coffee last August for a significant overhaul (full list of maintenance/upgrades attached). The previous owner ultimately decided to go with a super automatic, and I was fortunate enough to happen upon their eBay listing. My Baratza Sette 30 is also recently upgraded to include the Sette 270 micro-adjustment.

I know this is a really simple setup by HB standards, but I'm hoping for this to be a long-time setup for me. So far I'm extremely satisfied with the espresso shots coming out of the Maximatic. I still have a ways to go on milk steaming with a strong 4-hole wand, though.

Congrats on the new machine, that was great timing on your part...I'd been watching it for what seemed like a couple month and it had been relisted numerous times. I was going to make an offer had it been resisted yet again but you snagged it. Glad to see it in good hands, it's look even better on your counter than it did in the Ebay listing!!

Sonny
LMWDP #597

drgary
Team HB

#6317: Post by drgary »

jhershauer wrote:Your informative posts very much influenced my purchase decision. Thank you!
You're welcome! You've got a high quality setup. With that you'll be able to make consistent, excellent espresso and milk drinks. The Olympia Express Maximatic is a gem of a high quality, small footprint espresso and cappuccino machine.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

jhershauer

#6318: Post by jhershauer »

Thanks Sonny! There's another one re-listed now (Pasquini-branded) with a starting bid of $350 (down from $399 last time). The guy says he's replaced the gaskets and supplies some additional gaskets with the machine. Granted, it's an '83 and has the asbestos-infused insulation around the boiler. Still seems like a good deal, but I was happy to pay a little extra for the '85 that had all of that work done by Cerini. Sounds like I got lucky it was still available!
sonnylowe wrote:Congrats on the new machine, that was great timing on your part...I'd been watching it for what seemed like a couple month and it had been relisted numerous times. I was going to make an offer had it been resisted yet again but you snagged it. Glad to see it in good hands, it's look even better on your counter than it did in the Ebay listing!!

Sonny

LObin

#6319: Post by LObin »

jhershauer wrote: I still have a ways to go on milk steaming with a strong 4-hole wand, though.
I had the exact same steam wand/tip on my Olympia club. The holes are a little big and it does create some bubbles, even when it seems that you have a proper vortex going.
I'd strongly suggest blocking 2 holes with toothpicks (insert firmly and brake the end that sticks out). It was much easier to create good microfoam, although steaming was a bit slower. I eventually ended up settling with 1 hole blocked, so basically an 3 hole tip.

Some Cremina owners have also opted to change for the new steam wand in order to improve milk frothing.
LMWDP #592

jhershauer

#6320: Post by jhershauer replying to LObin »

Cool. Thanks for the tip! I've actually gotten much closer to a good microfoam after quite a bit of practice over the past few days. I was initially steaming too long, and moved the pitcher around too much. It steams so fast, though, that any mistake and it's already too late to recover. So if I can't get consistent at this rate, maybe I'll try that toothpick trick to give myself a little more time.