Post a pic of your home espresso setup... - Page 606

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Fifty4

#6051: Post by Fifty4 »

SomersetDee wrote:As promised! ZM in office. They forgot to add the espresso burrs I am sure they will send it when I let Mulmar know. Highly recommended people to deal with.
Have you had time to test the Mazzer ZM? How does it compare to the Mazzer Robur?

[creative nickname]

#6052: Post by [creative nickname] »

Here is our setup (not quite finished yet) at the new house:

Now that the B3000AL is up and running I am finally able to appreciate the quiet and convenience of a plumbed-in HX lever. I also ran a line from the filter to the cold tap at the sink, so that I can fill up the Bonavita with treated water as well.

Still on the to-do list is a shelf up above the backsplash, where I will display some of my vintage home levers, grinders, and cups.
LMWDP #435

SomersetDee

#6053: Post by SomersetDee »

Fifty4 wrote:Have you had time to test the Mazzer ZM? How does it compare to the Mazzer Robur?
Hi! I have personally not tested it elaborately for espresso. Definitely not enough to comment usefully to coffee experts here. I was going to roast 3 varieties to make sensible comparisons this weekend, but that did not happen... and today (Sunday) went to a coffee event! The picture below is from that event :)

The grind is 100% fluffy with ZM. Absolutely no clumps. There is a hint of bitterness with ZM which initially concerned me. I was grinding at 180 microns and overextracting. I have since realised that this is because mine is factory fitted with filter burrs (151G) and not with the espresso burrs (151B). The coffee event I went to today had both the earlier manual version and the new digital version identical to mine. I found the taste from the one at the event to be exceptionally crisp and clean without any bitterness. More in line with EK43 I have tried before.

I will receive my 151B burr-set mid-week and can hopefully give you a review next weekend. I have a feeling that this is an exceptional grinder.

With the current filter burrs (151G), the bitterness from overextraction goes away, I found, by grinding at the very lowest 140 micron particle size, and tamping a bit harder!!

Note: The control menu will not allow you to set any lower than 140 micron particle size to prevent burrs touching each other.

I saw today that when the espresso burr profile is 151B, it also appears to change the micron setting needed. At today's coffee event, I found that the ZM was mostly being used between 165 to 200 microns for light to medium roasts. I did not find a single dark roast sample in the event! :) So below 165 microns, even light roasts were struggling to pour. This is a good sign.

There is an interesting feature that no one has spoken about yet: Let me explain!!!

When I use a Robur, the burrs have to be running while I adjust the burr. This means a lot of hassle. There cannot be any coffee beans or coffee particles between the burrs as this will not allow the burrs to be set properly. This is not a problem with ZM!!! OK, so with ZM when you change the burr distance setting to adjust the grind on the fly, it allows you to change it even if there are coffee particles or a bean preventing the burrs from getting closer together. The machine will keep trying to get to the correct grind particle size automatically the next time the machine is being used. It even provides an onscreen message: 'GRIND TO REACH'. This message will only disappear after the burrs reach the correct distance as input. So during the next grind, it will make adjustments automatically while spinning the burrs in short bursts. All automatic!!!

This is fantastic.

The Robur is fantastic and possibly even unique in taste. Espresso is sugary and sweet. So to compare taste difference will take time. I already feel that ZM leans towards the character of EK43 in terms of being crisp and bright. With the filter burrs in place as it is now it is definitely not like an EK43, in fact, there is a bigger resemblance to the Robur taste. There is a hint more crispness and a significant portion of the sugariness of Robur at ZM's 150 micron size setting and using an extra large filter basket like the vst 25g basket.

I hope this helps for now. I hope to experiment and provide more info next week. Regards, Dee.

Swissbariss

#6054: Post by Swissbariss »

My setup for the last 5 years with no complaints other than when we have guests who want cappos. As far as pure espresso in the cup the Caravel cant be beat.
P.S. Adding LED backlighting increases espresso quality by 23%. It's science. Dont argue.

Fifty4

#6055: Post by Fifty4 »

@SomersetDee:

Thank you for your detailed answer and your first impression. We have no ZM-Reviews and less comments in the german Web-Coffee-Community, I don't know why - so - very interesting your comments to this new Grinder.
I'm also interested to buy one in the next weeks, but not as an alternative to the EK43, only as a pure espresso grinder with the 151B burrs. In that respect, I would be also very interested in your impression of the espresso burrs.
The 151B fit also well with the Mazzer Major, the grind-results could be better (?) depends on the vertical arrangement and the more precise adjustment of the burrs with different particle distribution?
But the price is demanding, so good for me to check all pros and cons before I will go with the ZM.

I look forward to your feedback when the 151B are delivered?
Of course, if I'll go with the ZM before, I also like to tell you about my experience.
Thank you again
Greetings from Düsseldorf/Germany
Fifty4

gchapman

#6056: Post by gchapman »

Swissbariss wrote:Adding LED backlighting increases espresso quality by 23%. It's science. Dont argue.
Absolutely! The taste never rises beyond the asthetics!

Geoff
Geoff Chapman

Sommersellinthe6ix

#6057: Post by Sommersellinthe6ix »

Rocket and Compak.

jchung
Supporter ♡

#6058: Post by jchung »

When the DE1 was first announced, I was skeptical. Then the DE1+ was released and I thought it was too expensive. Then I watched as people got their hands on the DE1+ and started to pull shots with control and repeatability unmatched by any other machine. But then I accidentally dropped an O-ring into the brew boiler of my Breville 920XL. That plus finally finding the source of a leak (in a very annoying and frustrating location) that had been vexing me for months, made me rethink the DE1+. With my wife's blessing, I finally ordered a DE1Pro. Just got it today. Only pulled a couple shots. Tried a couple profiles. I upped my water game with a ZeroWater pitcher (not pictured) and some potassium bicarbonate.

P.S. Where do all the DE1+/Pro owners put their cups now?

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#6059: Post by mivanitsky »

I am borrowing one, and use the Slayer for cup heating and hot water for cleanup. DE1Pro is a great shot puller.

Swissbariss

#6060: Post by Swissbariss »

mivanitsky wrote:I am borrowing one, and use the Slayer for cup heating and hot water for cleanup. DE1Pro is a great shot puller.

:roll: :roll: :roll: