Post a pic of your home espresso setup... - Page 43

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#421: Post by uscfroadie »

And Nick, it seems to me that you need to trade in the SJ for something a bit more portable, so you can get a small, say, lever machine to take with you when you got to places like Austin. I have tow portable kits depending on how much of a nomad I'm planning to be. A Factory 16 and a PeDe for Rock and Corporate trips, and a Silvia and a Rocky for Theatrical tours!
Chris,
I agree and was thinking the same thing as a solution for Nick. The really funny part is that my portable setup is the same as one of yours - Factory 16 with a PeDe. Being in the military, I have to travel, and my kit assures that I do not have to do without great coffee while away from home.
Merle

Psyd

#422: Post by Psyd »

The really funny part is that my portable setup is the same as one of yours - Factory 16 with a PeDe.
The entire thing, with accoutrements and a cup or two fits in a case about the size of a small suitcase or a large carry-on, and weighs less than twenty-five pounds. Case included!
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

shadowfax

#423: Post by shadowfax »

Psyd wrote:And Nick, it seems to me that you need to trade in the SJ for something a bit more portable, so you can get a small, say, lever machine to take with you when you got to places like Austin. I have tow portable kits depending on how much of a nomad I'm planning to be. A Factory 16 and a PeDe for Rock and Corporate trips, and a Silvia and a Rocky for Theatrical tours!
I have the "La Pavoni" Factory 16, a Professional, albeit 20 years old but in near mint condition. I have taken it and a Mazzer Mini on road trips before, but I think I just need a PeDe or something like it at this point. Sometime I'll pick one up at Orphan Espresso on the cheap (ish). For now, I am just enjoying the Cafe scene. Caffé Medici in Austin pulls a sublime cappuccino, and while their espresso is not usually something I would write home about, it's pretty nice too--better than I'd get with a PeDe and La Pavoni, methinks. Levers really are swell travelers, aren't they, though?

As for the SJ, I think I'll keep it for now. It grinds about as fast as the Robur, and I am keen to compare the cups over the next few months and see if I can tell any big difference in cup quality/character. It's a very, very nice grinder, and I may dedicate it for easy espresso blends that I often get. One reason the Robur has piqued my interest is the prospect of dealing better with lighter roasted, finicky single origin coffees--I was hoping for more clarity and sweetness in my cup, and just an easier time all around. The Super Jolly leaves little to be desired with "easy," mellow, balanced espresso blends. Who knows, though? Maybe he'll be dedicated to Decaf, if I ever start drinking it?
Nicholas Lundgaard

AUSTINrob

#424: Post by AUSTINrob »

Well,
I'm about year overdue in posting up a pic of my set-up, so here it is! This combo has allowed me to go from total newby to complete espresso nirvana instantly...And the fun thing is, I continue to fine tune my skills and am always improving.
For x-mas I will be asking for a bottomless portafilter.

Determann

#425: Post by Determann »

Hi,

here is my current set-up:

I started with Baby Gaggia, Gaggia grinder MDF about 15 years ago, then upgraded in spring 2008 to Rancilio Epoca E, Macap M 4D

and ended now with the La San Marco, M4 Digital.

The step from the Epoca to the La San Marco was as big as from the Gaggia to the Epoca. With the La San Marco I can pull shot after shot with the same consistent quality. The set-up of the LSM was as easy as one might imagine. So I'm where I wanted to be.

BR Determann

pjones

#426: Post by pjones »

shadowfax

#427: Post by shadowfax »

... dang!
Nicholas Lundgaard

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#428: Post by RapidCoffee »

Now there's a cure for upgrade fever. :twisted:
John

shadowfax

#429: Post by shadowfax replying to RapidCoffee »

Speaking of, what does your kitchen look like these days?

:D
Nicholas Lundgaard

mhoy

#430: Post by mhoy »

Paul: One heck of a first post. :mrgreen:

Mark