Plumbing in the Profitec Pro 700

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
neutro

#1: Post by neutro »

Hello everyobody... I finally got my Pro 700 shortly before Christmas and I'm slowly getting better and better shots and microfoam. The machine performs very well but I've got a few outstanding issues. One of them is how to properly plumb in the machine­.

Now I have little experience in the matter and I think one of the problem I have is that I can't identify correctly what I need in terms of hardware (particularly, adapters). I'm in Canada so I got the North American version of the Pro 700. It's got the new drain kit but I won't use it for now -- I'm just focusing on the intake.

I've already installed a tee, valve and 6' 3/8" hose from my faucet intake to where the machine is. The machine comes with a 5' stainless steel hose with a 3/8" inner diameter fitting and a 1/8" one at the other end which fits on the machine. The fit is great on the machine and I've got no leak there, but on the other end of the hose, I just don't know what is the fitting type and where to find suitable adapters. The hose fitting looks like a copper cone with a hole, and a stainless steel ring, but with no rubber gasket. I presume any rubber gasket is on the male part of this type of fitting. I can screw the hose on a 3/8" elbow such as those intended to use for diswashers but the fitting then leaks even with liberal amounts of teflon tape.

Can anyone tell me what type of fitting this is and where to find a suitable adapter to a standard 3/8" compression fitting?

Another issue that I have is that the pressure seems too high. The pump manometer indicates 3.5-4.0 bars when connected to the water intake, whereas the specs says to keep the pressure below 2 bars (29 psi). Looking around on these forums, it seems a pressure regulator is required, but I don't seem to be able to find anything online or in hardware stores in Canada, except for some models meant for RV's. Some of them have adjustable pressure but I have no idea if they can be adjusted as low as 29 psi (45 psi seems to be the standard in the world of recreational vehicles). I could try ordering the one on Chris Coffee's but I guess this would be a costly proposition.

Any hint / advice is welcome,

Thanks

chuckcoffee

#2: Post by chuckcoffee »

Nuetro

Congrats. Looks like a great machine. Just plumbed in my Alex Duetto so went through similar issues.

I got a pressure regulator from Chriscoffee. I could not find anything local.( I am just north of Toronto). It comes with John Guest hose fittings either 3/8" or 1/4".

https://www.chriscoffee.com/Pressure-Re ... /334gg.htm

Check your users manual on the braided hose. Most of the European threads will be BSP. My hose came with a John Guest fitting to go from the BSP thread to 3/8" poly hose.

As well at the same time I installed a carbon filter. Not only improves the water taste but helps filter the water so nothing gets into the Espresso machine.

Hope that helps.

neutro (original poster)

#3: Post by neutro (original poster) »

Hi Chuck,

Thanks *a lot* for your reply. Indeed the hose looks like it's got BSP fittings. At least now I can look for the proper adapter, although at first sight going from BSP to standard North American compression fitting will be hard it seems. I would have liked to keep all the plumbing 3/8" braided hose but I may have to go poly hose for converting and using ChrisCoffee's pressure regulator. John Guest fittings are simply quick-connect fittings for poly hose right?

I will inquire what would be the shipping costs but I really wonder if that regulator is not similar to others that can be found on Amazon Canada like this one here. The number of adapters required would be kind of absurd though.

If I'm going poly hose and ordering a regulator on the US side of the border, I wonder if I might as well go with this one from Esspressoparts.com. It looks like it's a single-setting at 30 psi which is roughly 2 bars.

EDIT: ChrisCoffee also sells the required 3/8" BSPP to standard compression fitting adapter for $15. Not cheap but it's possible. I'd just have to figure out how to include the pressure regulator inline I guess.

tkenny53

#4: Post by tkenny53 »

one thing I found when I plumbed in my Brewtus, be careful of plastic push pull type fitting for the 3/8 poly hose. Most of my fittings leaked due to the poly tubing has a natural curve to it. I went back and installed hard brass compression fittings, that fixed my leaks

neutro (original poster)

#5: Post by neutro (original poster) »

Yeah that's one thing having the content of the tank emptied on your counter top. Having the content of the municipal water castle emptied in your kitchen is a whole other story. I would really like to keep everything braided stainless stell + compression fitting if possible.

Carsncoffee

#6: Post by Carsncoffee »

Congratulations! I installed my Prof 700 in October and plumbed it in with the filtration/softener system from Chris Coffee.

https://www.chriscoffee.com/Water-Softe ... ftsysg.htm
I suggest the 3/8". Depending on your plumbing/routing, you will need to go to Home Depot or similar and pick up the various elbow/T/straight connectors; they don't have John Guest but any similar push/pull system will work. you will also need a tubing cutter which cuts the tube at exactly 90 degrees for proper connections. I suggest you sketch out a diagram of the connections in order to determine what you will need (otherwise you will make a few trips like I did :shock: )

I also needed to reduce the incoming pressure into the espresso machine and tried to find a pressure regulator locally or online but eventually just ended up ordering one from Chris Coffee- it is expensive, however. be sure you get the correct size, 1/4 vs 3/8".
https://www.chriscoffee.com/Pressure-Re ... /334gg.htm

I would also use a 3 way valve to create a purge line from the filter so that you can flush out the impurities from the softener and filter before the water goes into the machine (only needed after replacement of the filter/softener cartridges). I will try to attach a photo of the set up I have to explain this.

Carsncoffee

#7: Post by Carsncoffee »

Not sure if the photo will come through; I have not done this before so pardon me if not.
Obviously, there are may ways to skin a cat but this is my set up:
Looking at the pic, you will see a brass T connector connecting the entire system from the water line in. Then the John Guest type connectors feeding line into the water softener then the carbon filter then a T connector for a purge line which is always in off position then the pressure regulator then a shut off valve then finally connecting to the braided metal hose up in the upper left hand side of the pic. The braided hose then goes directly into the espresso machine.

Carsncoffee

#8: Post by Carsncoffee »

neutro (original poster)

#9: Post by neutro (original poster) »

That is a work of Art and Love :mrgreen:

Still wondering if... 1) I can do it all without going poly hose (I'm not planning on using filters) and 2) if the regulator is the same as those intended for RV applications. Can the JG fittings on Chris Coffee's regulator be removed? I.e. are they adapters on compression fittings? like 1/2" or 3/4" comp fittings?

EDIT: To be clear, I already have installed a tee, a shut-off valve and a 6' braided hose that go all the way near my machine. The $15 adapter linked above would directly allow me to connect the machine by going from the 3/8" comp fitting hose to the 3/8" BSP hose, albeit with an intake pressure of 3.5-4 bars, which I'm wary of. I already managed to make the connection but with the wrong adapter (thus I kept having leaks even with a liberal dose of teflon tape) but I could read the pressure on the pump manometer.

chuckcoffee

#10: Post by chuckcoffee »

nuetro

The close up of the fitting on the regulator shows NPTF (NPT fine thread). As long as you can find that you would be good but best to talk with Chris Coffee. They will be able to confirm and possibly suggest/supply a fitting to go in.

Just a note on the plastic fittings. Getting a good 90 cut was critical for no leaks. I had good success with the John Guest tube cutter. Fittings from plastic to metal required teflon tape and teflon paste.