Plumbing in from scratch - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Cerberus

#21: Post by Cerberus »

Don Task wrote:Hey Cerberus... just and idea / something to think about. I also installed a valve so I could flush new filters when replaced. After doing it "once" (filling buckets / pans, splashing water, lugging them out to empty them etc) ... I made a modification.
Thanks Don! Tapping into the existing drain is a great idea!

Cerberus

#22: Post by Cerberus »

shadyatbest wrote:Gotcha, that makes perfect sense now. Do you mind telling me what kind of filter that is? That system looks like I could incorporate that pretty easily into either the cabinet space or some sort of electrical storage box in the closet behind.
Homeland Filter System Kit. I like the simplicity (single vs multiple filters), and while large it fits perfectly in the cabinet. Also, I was able to immediately tell a difference in taste.

Don Task

#23: Post by Don Task »

shadyatbest wrote:Gotcha, that makes perfect sense now. Do you mind telling me what kind of filter that is? That system looks like I could incorporate that pretty easily into either the cabinet space or some sort of electrical storage box in the closet behind.
Hi shadyatbest... you may have missed it, but in my last post to Cerberus I included a "spoiler" at the end of my reply where I asked about his filter and softening. He has since replied with a link but here's what I had asked in the spoiler:

"I noticed it looks like you are using a Homeland H5KP3 filter for water softening. I recently switched from the Brita Aquaquell BC6 (used the last cartridges in my inventory) Now trying Omnipure QWS. I looked into thee BWT Bestmax line for softening but Yikes... their replacement cartridges are expensive!!! :shock: When changing filters I log the install date and estimate liters used to calculate when the filter is approaching end of life. I currently use a Hach 5B Hardness Test Kit to stay on top of it. According the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) an acceptable range is 1-5 grains per gallon of calcium hardness with water for brewing coffee would ideally be 4 grains per gallon. Obviously, the higher the number (as in 5) the sooner your machine will need descaling. My "non-filtered" well water measures 5 grains per gallon. Although "acceptable" with the QWS I now measure 2 grains (same as I recorded with the Aquaquell BC6. Granted its not the "ideal 4"... but means I still have enough hardness needed for enjoyable espresso... but I'll get longer times between disassembly and descaling. FYI: My last major overhaul (descaling boilers... ugh ) I was able to go 14 year using the Aquaquell."

Anyway... once I had the idea of using an empty circuit panel box as a filter cabinet, I had to narrow my search down to finding filters where the filter cartridge along with the filter head would fit "inside" my selected the cabinet. I liked the Homeland unit as well as its price but when assembled it was a little too long coming in at 20.5" tall.

NOTE: In my searching I found plenty of "short" cartridges that would fit the cabinet lengthwise but a lot of them had a large diameter (greater than 3 1/2") the interior space of my in-wall cabinet. The Bianca Aquaquell filter and mount was perfect however, it was ordered via a UK website. Shipping was expensive and getting replacement filters and meant ordering weeks in advance. Then every time the US has a crisis and the market takes a dive the US dollar slips against the Euro and the price of the filter goes up... eventually exceeding $100ea with shipping.

Fast forward to July 2020... after much research I found several contenders eventually picking the Omnipure Q Series "valved" filter head with a Omnipure QWS softening cartridge The total overall height of the "Filter Head with attached filter" is less than 16" tall! I "briefly" looked into the BWT softening filter system but with the cartridges running $130 each... I would be better off sticking with Brita. The one benefit/upside to the BWT line is the BWT BestHead Flex has the "blend setting knob" that allows you to adjust the ion exchange (softening ratio) based on the hardness of your water. Ratios of 0/100, 10/90, 25/75, and 40/60. Then... using a hardness test kit you just have to test the setting and adjust as needed to get as close as you can to what you would like "your" ideal grains of hardness to be. Its a great design but knowing I could get my grains of hardness from 5 down to 2 without the fancy filter head and expensive cartridges was good enough for me. FYI: I did however purchase the BWT Pressure Reducer (yes its expensive compared to pressure reducers offered by other vendors, but after reading complaints on the others... leaks, sticking gauge needles, poor connector threading etc) I'm happy I went with BWT. No complaints.
Krups, then Silvia, then Livia 90, then a Techno! Does it ever end? [sigh]

shadyatbest (original poster)

#24: Post by shadyatbest (original poster) »

Don Task wrote:Hi shadyatbest... you may have missed it, but in my last post to Cerberus I included a "spoiler" at the end of my reply where I asked about his filter and softening. He has since replied with a link but here's what I had asked in the spoiler:

"I noticed it looks like you are using a Homeland H5KP3 filter for water softening. I recently switched from the Brita Aquaquell BC6 (used the last cartridges in my inventory) Now trying Omnipure QWS. I looked into thee BWT Bestmax line for softening but Yikes... their replacement cartridges are expensive!!! :shock: When changing filters I log the install date and estimate liters used to calculate when the filter is approaching end of life. I currently use a Hach 5B Hardness Test Kit to stay on top of it. According the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) an acceptable range is 1-5 grains per gallon of calcium hardness with water for brewing coffee would ideally be 4 grains per gallon. Obviously, the higher the number (as in 5) the sooner your machine will need descaling. My "non-filtered" well water measures 5 grains per gallon. Although "acceptable" with the QWS I now measure 2 grains (same as I recorded with the Aquaquell BC6. Granted its not the "ideal 4"... but means I still have enough hardness needed for enjoyable espresso... but I'll get longer times between disassembly and descaling. FYI: My last major overhaul (descaling boilers... ugh ) I was able to go 14 year using the Aquaquell."

Anyway... once I had the idea of using an empty circuit panel box as a filter cabinet, I had to narrow my search down to finding filters where the filter cartridge along with the filter head would fit "inside" my selected the cabinet. I liked the Homeland unit as well as its price but when assembled it was a little too long coming in at 20.5" tall.

NOTE: In my searching I found plenty of "short" cartridges that would fit the cabinet lengthwise but a lot of them had a large diameter (greater than 3 1/2") the interior space of my in-wall cabinet. The Bianca Aquaquell filter and mount was perfect however, it was ordered via a UK website. Shipping was expensive and getting replacement filters and meant ordering weeks in advance. Then every time the US has a crisis and the market takes a dive the US dollar slips against the Euro and the price of the filter goes up... eventually exceeding $100ea with shipping.

Fast forward to July 2020... after much research I found several contenders eventually picking the Omnipure Q Series "valved" filter head with a Omnipure QWS softening cartridge The total overall height of the "Filter Head with attached filter" is less than 16" tall! I "briefly" looked into the BWT softening filter system but with the cartridges running $130 each... I would be better off sticking with Brita. The one benefit/upside to the BWT line is the BWT BestHead Flex has the "blend setting knob" that allows you to adjust the ion exchange (softening ratio) based on the hardness of your water. Ratios of 0/100, 10/90, 25/75, and 40/60. Then... using a hardness test kit you just have to test the setting and adjust as needed to get as close as you can to what you would like "your" ideal grains of hardness to be. Its a great design but knowing I could get my grains of hardness from 5 down to 2 without the fancy filter head and expensive cartridges was good enough for me. FYI: I did however purchase the BWT Pressure Reducer
Yep, missed that. But that contains all the info I'm looking for. Thank you for sharing again. Researching now!