Plumbed espresso machine driptray won't drain

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Hoagie

#1: Post by Hoagie »

I am getting everything pretty much wrapped up on my coffee trailer. Just finished the plumbing and poured water in the drip tray to make sure it's draining ok. Well, it's not. Granted, I have not actually hooked up an espresso machine before. But, it seemed pretty straightforward. I hooked up the drain tube they sent me to the port on the tray just under the drain hole on the drip tray. But it won't exit the tube unless I tilt the machine pretty far up. Seems this is a simple case of physics, but of course, I need to be able for the machine to drain while it's level. I would send a pic. But don't not sure how to here.

Marty

#2: Post by Marty »

What's the machine make and model? Sounds like an air lock situation. A pic would be great...simply drag a jpg into the white text window where you type the msg and it will auto upload, give it a few seconds and then two buttons will appear, a few inches below the window. Place your cursor where you want the pic to appear and click the 'Place Inline' button...viola

Do you have a 90 degree bend under the drip tray? Provided the line is not kinked and the inside diameter is as large as your fitting allows, it should drain if the hose goes vertical (or close to it). Try to describe the drain in more detail if you can't post a pic.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by FotonDrv »

What is the internal diameter of the drip tray tube?
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Hoagie (original poster)

#4: Post by Hoagie (original poster) »

Marty wrote:What's the machine make and model? Sounds like an air lock situation. A pic would be great...simply drag a jpg into the white text window where you type the msg and it will auto upload, give it a few seconds and then two buttons will appear, a few inches below the window. Place your cursor where you want the pic to appear and click the 'Place Inline' button...viola

Do you have a 90 degree bend under the drip tray? Provided the line is not kinked and the inside diameter is as large as your fitting allows, it should drain if the hose goes vertical (or close to it). Try to describe the drain in more detail if you can't post a pic.
Thank you. I will send a pic tomorrow. The trailer is locked up for the night. And there is no light without my generator on. Since it's a small concession trailer, I am using a single group for now. It's a Cecilware Venezia.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cecilw ... 1110V.html

I described the tray wrong in the original post. The drip tray drains into a small basin underneath the tray and the port in attached to that. It is a small basin. I may have the hose running parallel too much. But, it seems that is the way it's supposed to be as the nearest exit hole under the machine is about 6 inches from the basin.

I will post the pic tomorrow morning. Thank you for the help.

Hoagie (original poster)

#5: Post by Hoagie (original poster) »

FotonDrv wrote:What is the internal diameter of the drip tray tube?
It looks to be 3/4 inch. But, I'm not sure. I will take a measurement tomorrow.

Hoagie (original poster)

#6: Post by Hoagie (original poster) »

Thanks!!!

Hoagie (original poster)

#7: Post by Hoagie (original poster) »

Another question since I have these pics up. The basin has 2 copper lines running into it. I know one of them is for backflush. Assuming that is the one on the left. But, the one on the right with the small lever.... what is that one for?

There is a company I can call that can set this up for me. But, I'm on a tight budget and would really love to get this done myself.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

Looks like the pipe on the left is the expansion drain tube and the one on the right is the boiler drain tube, according to this manual:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/docume ... p1110v.pdf
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

lagoon

#9: Post by lagoon »

If the leg levels are adjustable, try raising the front and lowering the rear by a few mm.

I think I can see the thread for the front right leg at the bottom of the last photo, so they appear to be adjustable.

HB
Admin

#10: Post by HB »

Hoagie wrote:The drip tray drains into a small basin underneath the tray and the port in attached to that. It is a small basin. I may have the hose running parallel too much.
I've seen similar setups. Without stating the obvious, as long as you provide a downward slope, it will drain. It's normal to have some standing water in the catch; it prevents grounds from entering the exit tube and eventually clogging. The catch will need cleaning every week or so, depending on how busy you are.
Dan Kehn