Plugged in new espresso machine and breaker tripped

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
digires

#1: Post by digires »

Hi, I just ordered and received an Isomac Mondiale. Beautiful machine, but unfortunately I have not been able to brew a single shot on it yet. My first time plugging it in, the lights came on, I heard a "pop" and it shut off. It blew my 20 amp circuit (which has nothing else plugged into it). Subsequently, it would simply trip the breaker whenever I plugged it in (to 3 different 20 amp circuits!) The right blade of the plug is actually damaged (eaten away?) from simply trying to plug the thing in!

Has anyone experienced this with a new machine before? Possible that the heating element is blown? So disappointing to get a new machine like this and not be able to pull a single shot.

Thank You,

John

Paul

#2: Post by Paul »

sounds like a QC fault. Talk to your vendor about warranty replacement.
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

Advertisement
djmonkeyhater

#3: Post by djmonkeyhater »

First, I'd stop plugging it in.

Second, try for the warranty.

Three, if there is no warranty, grab a screwdriver and a multimeter- there should be more than enough expertise to get you to a solution on these boards.

digires (original poster)

#4: Post by digires (original poster) »

Thanks, I stopped plugging it in after trying different circuits to verify it wasn't problem with the breaker. It is under warranty (actually just received it yesterday) so I'll send it back to the retailer for service/replacement. What a bummer.

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

Was it plugged into a surge suppressor? It is possible (although unlikely) that a surge caused the heating element to be damaged. They have a thin wire inside that actually creates the heat, and the large, outer area merely conveys the heat to the water. A surge can easily damage the thin heating wire. One supplier states that unless a suppressor with a minimum stated joule rating is used that the warranty is void.

Another possibility is that there is a loose wire in the case which is touching a chassis part, grounding the current through the machine. Whatever the cause, do not plug the machine in again until the cause is remedied as you have a dangerous situation on hand which can cause a fire... or worse!

Whatever the cause, the machine has a dead short which is drawing excessive current which causes arcing at the plug when it is inserted into the socket. Call your reseller immediately.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

stefano65
Sponsor

#6: Post by stefano65 »

Tip of the plug melted
most likely a wire inside the machine touching another one
was the machine tested and you pick it up in person
or was shipped to you?
in any case should be a
warranty issue
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

cafeIKE

#7: Post by cafeIKE »

Randy G. wrote:A surge can easily damage the thin heating wire. One supplier states that unless a suppressor with a minimum stated joule rating is used that the warranty is void.
Sorry, but if this were true, half the coffee makers, ovens, heaters, kettles, etc. on the planet would be dead.

Here's a link to Nichrome on Wikipedia.

Advertisement
digires (original poster)

#8: Post by digires (original poster) »

I walked through disassembling the machine with support at 1st-line. I ended up finding a short--the micro-switch that connects to the start/stop lever was touching a piece of copper tubing in there. It appears that this was the culprit. While trying to reposition this switch, its fragile mounting broke, so they are shipping me another one.

I plugged it in, and the vibration pump is buzzing non-stop (even with the switch in the off position). This can't be normal. Anyone have experience with this?

Here you can see the microswitch hanging out, and the glint off of the broken mount.

Interior of the machina in all its glory. You can see the microswitch for the front lever making contact with the copper tubing inside. That was the short.

This is what it looked like fresh out of the box--it's a beaut.

Thanks,

John

edwa

#9: Post by edwa »

You're right that is a beauty, sorry you are having so much trouble out of the box. I've found 1st-line a joy to work with, hope you have as much luck.

I'm curious, is that portafilter handle metal, or just colored plastic? I would think metal would get too hot to handle with comfort.

Randy G.

#10: Post by Randy G. »

cafeIKE wrote:Sorry, but if this were true, half the coffee makers, ovens, heaters, kettles, etc. on the planet would be dead.

Here's a link to Nichrome on Wikipedia.
Regardless, I got my VBM from Jim at 1st-line and he states that the element can be damaged by surges, and the warranty on the heating element is void if the machine is not plugged into a surge suppressor of a specified Joule rating. I don't know about the element of the machine in question, and that's why that portion of my post came with the disclaimer. Discuss it with Jim....
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done