Please help power a Rancilio Z11

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
macrumpel

#1: Post by macrumpel »

Hello,

I bought an used Rancilio Z11 from a hotel in so sad working condition. It is a 2 group model with an optional gas heating. Now I bought all the cables and water connections to get the machine connected. As I have to put it in the basement (too big for the kitchen), I did a connection with the 220 V cable leaving the 380 V (thicker) cable unconnected. Now when I turn the main switch to the right (there are no markings but I presume it is to right to switch it on) and try position 1 and 2 for general power and heating, nothing happens. Anyway there is no control light. But it does not seem to heat and the coffee buttons dont do anything at all...

Do you have an idea?

Is there a switch between 380V / 220 V ?

Does the rancilio make some operating sound ?

Do I just have to wait ?

Or might it be my power supply which is too low in Amperage ? But then I suspect it will rip the fuse, no?

Thank you alot for any suggestions,

Hubertus

plamberti

#2: Post by plamberti »

I don't know Z11.
You would check if boiler is filled with water first, then check wiring to see what circuit is connected to what phase (380V has 3 phases plus neutral), try to connect every circuit to the same phase (220V has only one). Perhaps you have connected only 1 out of 3 heaters. An electrical schema and an ohm-volt-meter would help a lot. If you aren't electricity-friend call a technician.
If machine is supposed to work, before you put your hands on, ask someone with a 380V mains to let you connect your machine there for a global check.
Pierluigi

macrumpel (original poster)

#3: Post by macrumpel (original poster) »

Thank you. Indeed the wiring must be checked. Are the 220/380v circuits usually not connected simultaneously? Then it would be normal that there is no power coming up.

Water is ok in the boiler.

The machine is so big and heavy it is difficult to bring it to someone for a 380v check...

Anyone else?

duke-one

#4: Post by duke-one »

The place to start is the nameplate. If it lists two possible operating voltages there probably will be a hard wired (not a switch) voltage selection at a terminal block. Is it a machine that can be changed from single phase to 3 phase? If there is no blueprint in the machine I would definitely not try this and try that; I would get the details from the manufacturer or a reputable espresso repair company. You said there were two cords, could one be for the pump? Or do they both have plugs (male connectors)?
KDM

#5: Post by macrumpel (original poster) »

hello duke-one,

yes on the nameplate it is marked "220/380V", so I think it can be operated with both of these. The hotel from which I bought it used it with 380V (cable: 3 phases, 2 black, brown, blue and zeroline), and I connected it to a standard 220V cable which is wired near the 380 entry (brown, blue and zeroline). The 220V cable goes to some dispatch box though.

You are right, I should try to contact Rancilio. As I bought the machine for 50 dollars as a starting machine, I would prefer not to invest 4 times the money into a technician. And the machine worked alright when they changed them for the new one...

I will look for a wiring diagramm.

Kind regards,

Hubertus

peacecup

#6: Post by peacecup »

All technical information is available on the web. Use a google search and you'll find it.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

#7: Post by macrumpel (original poster) »

Indeed, the wiring etc is available
http://www.rancilio.it/rancilio/downloa ... =24&flag=1

but then I am a Coffee lover not an electrician. What I want to know is some basic help to understand if there is a simple way to get this machine connected and working (as it is not defectous ;)

:D

#8: Post by macrumpel (original poster) »

Hello. Here comes a little update. The hotel did use it with a 220v line and no pump. So I think the 380v cable must have been connected to the 220v line.

A bit strange but a little hope

duke-one

#9: Post by duke-one »

Still don't have any detailed help for you but would tell you this; different plugs and outlets have specific configurations to avoid connecting a machine of one voltage to an outlet of a different voltage or phase setup. Don't let out the smoke!!
KDM
PS: No pump?? Must be internal pump, yes?

#10: Post by macrumpel (original poster) »

Hmpf. I am down and don't understand it. It seems there should be an external pump but they did not use any. When I connect the standard water line the pump manometer of the machine tells me 6-8 bars which I think a little hi for my line, suspected 3 bars. So does this machine has a pump? What would the coffee be without a pump?

Definitely a not so clever purchase but for 50 bucks still a bargain. What do you think. Try to understand and invest or try to sell?