PID Silvia temperature stability thoughts - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
User avatar
Compass Coffee (original poster)
Sponsor

#21: Post by Compass Coffee (original poster) »

Andy, do you know how much stability just heating the group added? From my Thermofilter tests just boiler PID'd I'd suspect quite a bit, likely overall around 2f inter and intrashot stability just adding group heater. Any idea if there's a 200f tstat that could be used rather than PID? I'm really torn whether to do the mod which I estimeate at another $200 for just the PID group or not because seriously comtemplating upgrading to a dual boiler for steaming convenience.
Mike McGinness, Head Bean (Owner/Roast Master)
http://www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com

User avatar
AndyS

#22: Post by AndyS »

Compass Coffee wrote:Andy, do you know how much stability just heating the group added? From my Thermofilter tests just boiler PID'd I'd suspect quite a bit, likely overall around 2f inter and intrashot stability just adding group heater. Any idea if there's a 200f tstat that could be used rather than PID? I'm really torn whether to do the mod which I estimeate at another $200 for just the PID group or not because seriously comtemplating upgrading to a dual boiler for steaming convenience.
My recollection is that heating the group improved the brew temp stability by about a degree F.

If you really enjoy playing with this stuff, I would do the mod. If you'd rather sit back and enjoy a cappuccino, I'd do the upgrade.
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
User avatar
Compass Coffee (original poster)
Sponsor

#23: Post by Compass Coffee (original poster) »

AndyS wrote:If you really enjoy playing with this stuff, I would do the mod. If you'd rather sit back and enjoy a cappuccino, I'd do the upgrade.
Which means I'll probably do both! :lol:
Mike McGinness, Head Bean (Owner/Roast Master)
http://www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com

User avatar
Compass Coffee (original poster)
Sponsor

#24: Post by Compass Coffee (original poster) »

AndyS wrote:My recollection is that heating the group improved the brew temp stability by about a degree F.
Let me rephrase the question. I was referring to start of shot or intershot consistency not intrashot stability. It would seem that pre-heating the grouphead should just about eliminate start of shot temp "creep up" between a series of shots. Or am I wrong in my thinking?

I'm wondering how a 95c/203f tstat would work on the grouphead heater. Unless I can find a 93c to try that is.
Mike McGinness, Head Bean (Owner/Roast Master)
http://www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com

User avatar
AndyS

#25: Post by AndyS »

Compass Coffee wrote:Let me rephrase the question. I was referring to start of shot or intershot consistency not intrashot stability. It would seem that pre-heating the grouphead should just about eliminate start of shot temp "creep up" between a series of shots. Or am I wrong in my thinking?

I'm wondering how a 95c/203f tstat would work on the grouphead heater. Unless I can find a 93c to try that is.
If you're going to bother doing it at all, you want to use a PID so that you can accurately control the grouphead temp.

As I said in another reply to you, it seems likely to me that the your "creep up" problem is due to your habit of keeping the steam switch on.
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company