PID display failure on Izzo Alex Duetto II

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
dmw010

#1: Post by dmw010 »

So I just received my third PID unit from Chris Coffee. The original (blue) display from January 2012 started losing segments after a year or so. Replaced with the newer (red) model from Chris Coffee in February 2015. The replacement starting losing segments in April 2016, more as time goes by. I have another replacement, but before I install it, any thoughts on what's going on? Is heat the problem, and is there anything I can do to insulate the PID unit?

DaveC

#2: Post by DaveC replying to dmw010 »

The problem, I believe might well be the voltage control unit. on a lot of early PIDs, where the onboard transformers fail, I out-boarded a replacement transformer and put a small resistor in to drop the voltage a tad, this seems to help keep the displays working and prevents other failures..The PID works fine at a slightly lower voltage.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by emradguy »

Hmmmm...I wonder if this is why I've had to replace my brew boiler temperature sensor 3 times (~5 yrs ownership, iirc).
LMWDP #748

BaristaBoy E61

#4: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Have you spoken with anyone in service at Chris'?

I doubt it has anything to do with the transformer, if the transformer fails everything goes down not just one or several segments of the display. I suspect it's cold solder joints on the circuit board. That's where I would check first if you're competent enough with a soldering iron and know what to look for. If not - DON'T DO IT!

UNPLUG THE MACHINE FROM THE WALL FIRST!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

dmw010 (original poster)

#5: Post by dmw010 (original poster) »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Have you spoken with anyone in service at Chris'?
Yes, I emailed back and forth with a tech at Chris Coffee, and they graciously sent me a new one this time. They don't know why some of the displays fail, but said it happens to about one in twenty. I guess I'm just lucky that I've had two fail!

I don't know anything about soldering, so I'm not going to mess with that, but thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like a quality control problem at the manufacturer.

BaristaBoy E61

#6: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

"I guess I'm just lucky that I've had two fail!"

You're luck you chose Chris' Coffee Service - They're simply 'The Best'!

Portlandia

#7: Post by Portlandia »

I wondered why Izzo decided to change the nice blue read out to red, when Vetrano decided to do the opposite. I find the blue much more appealing to my senses and a calming presence in the morning.

BaristaBoy E61

#8: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I believe it's because the red LED display is more tolerant to higher temperatures.

Portlandia

#9: Post by Portlandia replying to BaristaBoy E61 »

Thank you!