PID'd Rancilio Silvia owners, what temperature do you run?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mute

#1: Post by mute »

So I've had my PID'd Silvia for a while now, and I have still not really figured out the optimal temperature settings for it. My Auber PID kit came set to 225F. I've bumped it down a bit to about 217F, I have not done the styrofoam cup test, nor do I own a Scace device, so I have yet to figure out what the optimal PID settings are.

I'm drinking CCC Rustico lately which says to shoot for a 198F brew temp. Since the PID controls the boiler temp, I'm assuming that the temp at the grouphead is going to differ as you pull your shot. Does anyone know what the general consensus is to hit 198-200F at the grouphead on a Silvia?

I'm considering doing the Rent a Scace thing through EPNW when it gets off the ground, but in the mean time I'd love to know what others experience is.

Lately my shots have been a bit on the bitter side, and I'm convinced it's likely to do with my temperature settings, since my technique is alright and my extraction rate seems just about right.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Goloso

#2: Post by Goloso »

101C for brewing, 120C for steam. At 140C you can actually produce a rolling boil inside the boiler!

jrfuda

#3: Post by jrfuda »

I have the same PID. I have mine set to 218F and brew BlackCat... I have pulled BlackCat in the 218 - 221F range and cannot perceive much of a difference, beyond 221 it starts to get bitter on me though.

I have had my Silvia for 16 months a pull a couple of shots a day during the week, and 6-12 shots on the weekend. I do not think my taste is as refined as many folks is here, as I have never had a pull that was sink worthy, including pulls from my first few weeks with the machine.

I have no idea what the temp is in the group or portafilter though...

I have also been interested in what temps other folks are using with this particular setup. It seems like it has been asked before, but the answers are never clear. I hope this thread just churns out some solid bean and temp combos without a bunch of what works best for you advice that has riddled other threads like this one.

TheJohnNewton

#4: Post by TheJohnNewton »

Very timely as I just installed an Auber PID about two weeks ago. I think it was set at 221 from the factory. My first shot at that setting was quite bitter so I experimented and have it set at 218 now. I just started with a new coffee though so need to find its sweet spot. I've not attempted to measure temp at the brew head yet but I do have a digital thermometer with a thermo couple so I'm wondering if I can throw together some kind of scace like device.

Sherman

#5: Post by Sherman »

mute wrote:So I've had my PID'd Silvia for a while now, and I have still not really figured out the optimal temperature settings for it. My Auber PID kit came set to 225F. I've bumped it down a bit to about 217F, I have not done the styrofoam cup test, nor do I own a Scace device, so I have yet to figure out what the optimal PID settings are.
The PID measures the temperature at the top of the boiler (assuming that you installed it according to Suyi's instructions). I don't imagine that each PID is calibrated before it's sent out, but regardless, you can perform a basic calibration exercise to determine the "right" temperature. Assuming that you live close enough to sea level that water boils at 212°F, set the PID to a temperature where you are certain the water will flash steam when you hit the brew switch, then drop by one degree at a time until water no longer flashes when you brew.

Example:
  1. 1.) Clear out space under the grouphead. This means removing the portafilter and setting a small container out to catch the splashing water. Don't get your face too close :)
    2.) Set PID to 230.
    3.) Wait for temp to stabilize (when I did this, it took about 5 minutes each time I changed the temp. Then again, I have mine set to 0.1°F accuracy. Suyi's instructions explain how to do this, too.)
    4.) Hit the brew switch. Observe water immediately flashing to steam as it exits the grouphead.
    5.) Drop the setting by X degrees. (I used 1F changes - in retrospect, it took a loooong time)
    6.) Repeat steps 3-5 until you observe water coming out of the grouphead, but NO STEAM.
    7.) Write this number down. If it says "218", you now know the delta (6°F), as the grouphead temp will be 212. How do we know it's 212? see step 6 (NO STEAM).
    8.) Now that you know the delta, you can adjust as you see fit. IIRC, the boiler/grouphead temperature relationship for this particular PID is linear, so you can just start dropping temps.
One of the important steps is 3) STABILIZATION. If you don't do this, the temperature measurements won't be accurate, and you shall continue to wander the espresso wastelands.

Regards,
-s.
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288

TheJohnNewton

#6: Post by TheJohnNewton »

Interesting technique to find the temp drop. I did notice that my machine no longer flashed to steam after installing the PID. Before I had usually done a blank shot, no pf loaded, to clear the steam before locking the pf and pulling the shot. I guess that is no longer needed.