The Picopresso - Page 10

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JB90068
Supporter ♡

#91: Post by JB90068 »

Marmot wrote:That beer cooler look super thick! :mrgreen:

When I did tests with my neoprene cover I realised that the Picopresso gets hotter with every use. I guess parts inside the pump suck up heat and when extracting coffee those parts have enough time to slowly heat up. This was also the case before when I used the Picopresso without cover and after the first shots it became too hot to hold even though my preheat drill remained the same.
When I did the tests with the neoprene cover the shots became quite a bit hotter than before. I could not do any reliable temperature measurements but I was able to get them close to my shots on the Strega which is at about 96 degrees celsius without flushing.
Marco - obviously I got my idea from you. Thank you! Have you found that your wrap has worked to protect your hands when doing multiple shots? My "blanket" would have to be an extra item I would have to pack while traveling since it obviously won't fit into the case.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

Marmot

#92: Post by Marmot »

Yes, it also prevented my hands from being cooked.
My wrap is held on with zipties so I can't just take it off. But for travel I have a case where I put my scale and hand grinder as well and I can put the Picopresso in there with the cover on.

I should get some beer coolers soon and because they already have a tube like shape I should be able to put them on and off again like you did with yours. I hope I can put several on top of each other :D

DamianWarS (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#93: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

JB90068 wrote:Here is my shower screen which arrived with my Picopresso yesterday. Appears to be the same as Devrim's.
I got mine Dec '21 and I never noticed it until now but my shower screen also has the false holes. Maybe it's to simulate the screw because all shower screens happen to have that center area blocked by a screw. I can't think why this would be a benefit, unless for some reason it's prevents some channeling in the center.

Marmot

#94: Post by Marmot »

I think the blocked center area is there to prevent a forceful stream of water from the top to disturb the center area of the puck too much. I sometimes see a notch in the center of the puck (I have the shower screen with holes in the middle). I think this mostly happens when you press the pump too hard and fast. I now usually build up pressure slowly and try to steadily but softly add pressure to the "pressure reservoir" to keep it at a certain level. This way I don't get dents in the puck anymore unless I grind too fine.

Devrim

#95: Post by Devrim »

Marmot wrote:I think the blocked center area is there to prevent a forceful stream of water from the top to disturb the center area of the puck too much. I sometimes see a notch in the center of the puck (I have the shower screen with holes in the middle).
Yes I'm sure thats the reason and its an improvement.

About pre-heating: until now my hands were never burnt, even pulling 3-4 shots back to back. Guess my builder hands protect me :D
I have another tip: after emptying the reservoir before your shot, make sure you pump out the water caught in the pump itself. That water cooled down quite a bit and that cold water will be the first reaching the puck.

My workflow: I empty the reservoir after pre-heating, then start pumping until no water comes out of the Picco. Then quickly place the portafilter in the ring and re-fill it with boiling water until the top edge, close it and start my shot.

beardsicles

#96: Post by beardsicles »

Quick question--I see the Picopresso's basket, etc are stainless steel. Is the water reservoir also stainless steel? Looks plastic but not 100% sure.

JB90068
Supporter ♡

#97: Post by JB90068 » replying to beardsicles »

Basket and shower screen are stainless. The rest is plastic.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

beardsicles

#98: Post by beardsicles » replying to JB90068 »

Ah, that's a bummer. Maybe it's a bit fussy but it's just hard to want to drink liquids out of plastic anymore, never mind liquids out of heated, pressurized plastic.

DamianWarS (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#99: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) » replying to beardsicles »

It's a shame they don't make a premium model using different materials. I have both the nano and pico and I will say the build quality of the pico is on a different level with more premium build materials for the pico. Next to each other the nano feels like a toy and the pico a tool. the most attention with the pico seems to with the showerhead, basket and the screw on ring that holds the basket. The gaskets are all silicon and the body has extra grip with some sort of rubberized coating. but with the inside of the pico the material/build is very reminiscent of the nano.

Mukka

#100: Post by Mukka »

I think with premium materials, everything metal, it would cost much more. It also would be more heavy and less easy to preheat. You can get an Aram, if you want it premium.

I contacted Wacaco and they send me the updates shower screen for just shipping cost of 7 US $. Because of holiday season, they send it in February.