The Picopresso - Page 9

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Mukka

#81: Post by Mukka »

JB90068 wrote:which puck screen did you order?
50 µm, size 51 mm x 1 mm. It is still in transit from China to Europe, maybe it will take a couple of weeks to deliver.

JB90068
Supporter ♡

#82: Post by JB90068 » replying to Mukka »

Thank you. What brand is it?
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

Mukka

#83: Post by Mukka »

No brand. It is from Aliexpress and cost nearly nothing.

Devrim

#84: Post by Devrim »

Mukka wrote:50 µm, size 51 mm x 1 mm. It is still in transit from China to Europe, maybe it will take a couple of weeks to deliver.
Thats going to be interesting, I'v got the 150um figuring I did not want to add more pressure by using smaller holes in the puck screen. Think mine will arrive sooner, I'll keep u posted

Devrim

#85: Post by Devrim »

JB90068 wrote:Just out of curiosity, which puck screen did you order? My Picopresso should be arriving today, so I'll get some hands on time with it over the weekend.
Think yours will be the same; 'fake' holes on 1 side :)
Haven't posted pictures before, not sure how to do that yet, but have a closer look at yours

Mukka

#86: Post by Mukka »

This is my shower screen. It has no fake holes. My Picopresso was delivered in August 2021.

Devrim

#87: Post by Devrim »

Strange, maybe an update? This is mine, bought it jan '22

JB90068
Supporter ♡

#88: Post by JB90068 »

Here is my shower screen which arrived with my Picopresso yesterday. Appears to be the same as Devrim's.

JB90068
Supporter ♡

#89: Post by JB90068 »

On another note related to thermal dissipation that was brought up earlier in this thread, I thought I would do some testing with my fresh out of the box unit.

Several people have complained about the Picopresso getting too hot in their hands while pumping a shot. One member wrapped theirs in silicone as well as neoprene to make it more comfortable to use. Others have wondered if a neoprene wrap might also help retain the heat better, thus offering a higher temp shot. Learning from all of you, I decided to order a pair 3/8" - 9.5mm thick foam beer coolers to modify into a thermal blanket. I wish I had a hot knife to get cleaner edges and I'll offer one other suggestion: if your wife has a small pair of precision German made eyebrow scissors, DO NOT use them even if she is an espresso lover. Don't ask how I know this. :)

Blank Thick Foam "Old School" Style Can Coolers (2, Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2Y39TZ/re ... UTF8&psc=1

I did two tests - one without the "blanket" and one with. Both followed Wacaco's protocol of warming the Picopresso before pulling a shot. I allowed each pre-warm to sit covered for 90 seconds. Then I took the temperature, refilled and allowed it to sit for another 90 seconds before checking the temperature again. Each time I added new water it was at 200 F. I only took the temperature in water reservoir each time to reduce variables such as purging the water through a room temperature puck. In between the un blanketed vs. blanketed tests, I brought the Picopresso back to room temperature - 72 F.
Here are the results:

No thermal protection:
1.Pre-warm starting temp: 200 F. After 90 sec it fell to 180 F.
2.Shot temp: 200 F. After 90 seconds it fell to 183 F.

With thermal blanket:
1. Pre-warm starting temp: 200 F. After 90 seconds it fell to 184 F.
2. Shot temp: 200 F. After 90 seconds it fell to 189 F.

Bottom line, the thermal blanket only raised the reservoir water by 6 F for the shot. It did make it slightly more pleasant to hold.

Thoughts?

Marmot

#90: Post by Marmot »

That beer cooler look super thick! :mrgreen:

When I did tests with my neoprene cover I realised that the Picopresso gets hotter with every use. I guess parts inside the pump suck up heat and when extracting coffee those parts have enough time to slowly heat up. This was also the case before when I used the Picopresso without cover and after the first shots it became too hot to hold even though my preheat drill remained the same.
When I did the tests with the neoprene cover the shots became quite a bit hotter than before. I could not do any reliable temperature measurements but I was able to get them close to my shots on the Strega which is at about 96 degrees celsius without flushing.