The Picopresso - Page 6

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
CoolBeanz

#51: Post by CoolBeanz »

TigerStripes wrote:I've had the picopresso for a few weeks now and I have been very impressed with it. It produces high quality, no compromise espresso in an extremely portable package.

Comparing it to the cafelat robot - the pico is more portable, but the workflow is not as pleasant and the cleanup takes more time. I still think it's worth it though due to the portability. I would bring the pico places that I'd feel silly hauling the robot out to.

With a pretty simple preheat routine, you can extract light roast (city) beans, and get a wonderfully balanced shot.
I sold my robot for the picopresso last year. I haven't looked back! in terms of preheating i dont find it any different... it's probably easier because that darn plunger on the robot chills everything down very quickly. WIth the picopresso I can just soak all the bits in hot water and the body in hot water as well.

jpender

#52: Post by jpender »

Marmot wrote:I think the Q2 is a very good choice given its weight and grind adjustment. It has double as large adjustment steps as the JX Pro but that might be ok if you adjust the dose accordingly.
I found a grinder with all plastic casing (even the "wooden" knob") which is still a bit lighter. The adjustment steps are too large though. That's why I'm waiting for a pair of nuts to have stepless adjustment.
The Picopresso with the plastic grinder puts the weight at 755 grams. The bag I ordered is 200 grams. That's just under a kilogram for the basic espresso package.
I'll probably still take the JX Pro with me if it is possible ;)
That's impressive. My travel kit, not counting the porcelain cup, weighs about 700g. And it's based on an Aeropress and an inferior grinder.

What is the 289g plastic grinder? Is it a secret?

Marmot

#53: Post by Marmot »

I forgot the scale. I found a super tiny one that weighs only 30 grams and can weigh only up to 200 grams but I thought it' enough to weigh beans and maybe shot weight.

The grinder is a no name product I got for about 30 dollars on Aliexpress. It has the same stainless steel burrs and adjustment as other no name grinders there but the casing is ABS and therefore makes it really light. But it is pretty unusable for espresso at the moment because the steps are too far apart. The burr sits pretty stable though and the quality of the grind is very good.

Marmot

#54: Post by Marmot »

I measured the tamper at 51.47mm and the stock basket at 51.55mm at about 2 to 3mm depth. I guess 51.5 or 51.6mm will be perfect but 51.8mm might be too wide. Some users on the facebook group for Wacaco products used 51mm screens off aliexpress with 100 microns (there are also 50 and 150 micron screens) and reported good results.

DamianWarS (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#55: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

Marmot wrote:I think the Q2 is a very good choice given its weight and grind adjustment. It has double as large adjustment steps as the JX Pro but that might be ok if you adjust the dose accordingly.
I found a grinder with all plastic casing (even the "wooden" knob") which is still a bit lighter. The adjustment steps are too large though. That's why I'm waiting for a pair of nuts to have stepless adjustment.
The Picopresso with the plastic grinder puts the weight at 755 grams. The bag I ordered is 200 grams. That's just under a kilogram for the basic espresso package.
I'll probably still take the JX Pro with me if it is possible ;)
If weight is an issue you could remove the grounds bin which would reduce the weight and size. An elastic band and a ziplock bag would work to collect the grounds in a pinch.

Marmot

#56: Post by Marmot » replying to DamianWarS »

Hey, that's a pretty good idea! It can also make it easier to fill a basket that's smaller then the grounds bin from the grinder.
Weight is not really an issue for me. It's more of a challenge to get the lightest possible kit ;)

jpender

#57: Post by jpender »

How much does the grounds bin weigh? At some point weight savings strategies get into what ultralight weight backpackers call "stupid light". That's when you give up too much comfort or safety just to shave a few more grams. Like sleeping on bubble wrap (I knew a guy who did that).

For a while I was connecting my grinder directly to an Aeropress. But ultimately I found it to be kind of annoying. Maybe it will work better with the Picopresso although I can't quite picture how you'd rubber band the basket and funnel to the grinder in a nice stable way.

jpender

#58: Post by jpender »

That's a really tiny scale! I stopped carrying mine since I found it wasn't that important for Aeropress brewing. But it sure would be important for a Picopresso.

That Aliexpress grinder looks like it would *maybe* fit in an Aeropress plunger. I'll bet it's too big, even if you sanded it down.

I've been looking for a replacement for my crappy Porlex for a while. I almost bought an Aergrind but balked when I learned of the poor customer service of Knock. More recently I decided on the Q2 but haven't bought it yet as I don't have travel plans right now. But if the Aliexpress grinder really is decent then the lightweight aspect would possibly make it the better choice for an Aeropress kit.

233g - Porlex mini
239g - Aliexpress unknown
331g - OE Fixe
362g - Knock Aergrind
385g - 1Zpresso Q2

Jonk

#59: Post by Jonk »

Marmot wrote:The grinder is a no name product I got for about 30 dollars on Aliexpress. It has the same stainless steel burrs and adjustment as other no name grinders there but the casing is ABS and therefore makes it really light. But it is pretty unusable for espresso at the moment because the steps are too far apart. The burr sits pretty stable though and the quality of the grind is very good.
It looks like it might be the same burrs Timemore uses. Their Nano is only 360g but it can take forever a long time to grind for espresso with those burrs (2 minutes if you're lucky, several times more if you're not). I guess the Nano Plus with "spike to cut" burrs cuts it down to more like 2 minutes max. Either way - yes the quality of grind is very good with those burrs, sitting somewhere between a C40 and 47mm Italmill on the clarity-body scale in my experience and kind of multi-purpose.

Marmot

#60: Post by Marmot »

I just checked. That grinder won't fit even with sanding it down.

The Timemore Nano or Slim will fit inside the Aeropress as well. The Nano seems to weigh 360g.