The Picopresso - Page 5

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
TigerStripes

#41: Post by TigerStripes »

I've had the picopresso for a few weeks now and I have been very impressed with it. It produces high quality, no compromise espresso in an extremely portable package.

Comparing it to the cafelat robot - the pico is more portable, but the workflow is not as pleasant and the cleanup takes more time. I still think it's worth it though due to the portability. I would bring the pico places that I'd feel silly hauling the robot out to.

With a pretty simple preheat routine, you can extract light roast (city) beans, and get a wonderfully balanced shot.
LMWDP #715

DamianWarS (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#42: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) » replying to TigerStripes »

What's you're preheat routine?

TigerStripes

#43: Post by TigerStripes » replying to DamianWarS »

Boiling water goes in the reservoir while I'm prepping the puck. Before I screw on the portafilter, I empty the reservoir by pumping the hot water through the machine. Screw on the portafilter, then refill with boiling water and pull the shot.
LMWDP #715

DamianWarS (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#44: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

Marmot wrote:If you invest another 27 usd in your Picopresso you can get a temprature controlled espresso machine with saturated brew group and instant pressure profiling. With the Picopresso plus shipping you end up with a total cost of 164 usd.
Now we just have to wait for wacaco to release their brew pressure gauge ;)

Oh, and you might want to get a food save gasket. I used a piece of an old bicycle tire which might not be the best idea but served its purpose for a first round of tests.

is it just a pipe?

Marmot

#45: Post by Marmot »

Yes. It's an exhaust reducer pipe that happens to have about the right circumference at one end. It was difficult getting it to seal because the Picopresso has small indentations on top of the inside of the water tank.

Marmot

#46: Post by Marmot »

Just saw this video today. This is really what I have been preparing for my Picopresso as well. I am still waiting for the bag and a mod for my light hand grinder. I aim to get the set a lot lighter than in the video. The JX Pro would be nice but it's just so heavy. Let's see how light I can get it ;)

jdrobison

#47: Post by jdrobison »

CoolBeanz wrote:I got a new accessory today. It does everything the YouTube things say it does. The extraction is slower. So I will need a few days to play around with it. :)

I attached a picture of the grounds a few days earlier and a picture of it just now with the screen. I will comment that the puck is much much dryer in the end with the b plus screen

Is that that 51.8mm screen?

jpender

#48: Post by jpender »

Marmot wrote:Just saw this video today. This is really what I have been preparing for my Picopresso as well. I am still waiting for the bag and a mod for my light hand grinder. I aim to get the set a lot lighter than in the video. The JX Pro would be nice but it's just so heavy. Let's see how light I can get it ;)
I've always thought of a travel espresso setup as being just a bit too much. But this looks pretty reasonable, especially for a non-milk coffee drinker. I'm very curious to see what you end up with. What are you hoping for weight-wise?

Also, what grinder are you planning on using? And what do you think of the guy in the video using a 1Zpresso Q2?

Marmot

#49: Post by Marmot »

I think the Q2 is a very good choice given its weight and grind adjustment. It has double as large adjustment steps as the JX Pro but that might be ok if you adjust the dose accordingly.
I found a grinder with all plastic casing (even the "wooden" knob") which is still a bit lighter. The adjustment steps are too large though. That's why I'm waiting for a pair of nuts to have stepless adjustment.
The Picopresso with the plastic grinder puts the weight at 755 grams. The bag I ordered is 200 grams. That's just under a kilogram for the basic espresso package.
I'll probably still take the JX Pro with me if it is possible ;)

CoolBeanz

#50: Post by CoolBeanz »

jdrobison wrote:Is that that 51.8mm screen?
I ordered the 51.6 screen. But I have it on my la pavoni single shot basket. If you go by Marmots previous posts it's also 51.6 for the stock picopresso basket.

https://www.bplus.biz/products/lower-sh ... uck-screen