The Picopresso - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
CoolBeanz

#21: Post by CoolBeanz »

Marmot wrote:It is not sealing because you are missing a part. There is a light grey gasket disc in which you put the shower screen. The shower screen then sits inside the silicone gasket and the basket will press against the silicone.
oh my... i never noticed it goes INSIDE the silicone gasket! Thanks!

DamianWarS (original poster)

#22: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) replying to CoolBeanz »

I had a missing gasket from the nano press and emailed wacaco for the part number to buy it and they were just going to mail me a free gasket. turns out I found it and I didn't need the part but if you've lost the gasket for the pico I would contact wacaco. I'm not saying you will get a similar experience with them but they were quick to offer to send one and helpful when I contacted them.

CoolBeanz

#23: Post by CoolBeanz »

I also have the nanopresso and the orange gasket got lost... the one that goes in between the body and the shower screen. I had to pay for it and shipping :( but I did buy a single shot la pavoni basket I'm excited to try on the picopresso!

CoolBeanz

#24: Post by CoolBeanz »

Just in case anyone is curious... I did buy a La Pavoni single shot basket and it works perfectly in the picopresso. Why would I do this? Even though I have the Nano... I like having a real basket vs a plastic basket and I can't drink a double shot everyday (too much caffeine for me). I also want to have the ability to tamp which is lacking in the Nano. I do love the form factor of the Nano, including a cup within it and it's slimmer than the Pico. But now I am happy having the Pico as a dedicated home unit and can pack the Nano as a dedicated traveling espresso without always unpacking it. I've used/owned and sold a Gaggia factory lever, Flair espresso, Robot and now I've ended up with these two which I'm super happy with.

#25: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

CoolBeanz wrote:Just in case anyone is curious... I did buy a La Pavoni single shot basket and it works perfectly in the picopresso. Why would I do this? Even though I have the Nano... I like having a real basket vs a plastic basket and I can't drink a double shot everyday (too much caffeine for me). I also want to have the ability to tamp which is lacking in the Nano. I do love the form factor of the Nano, including a cup within it and it's slimmer than the Pico. But now I am happy having the Pico as a dedicated home unit and can pack the Nano as a dedicated traveling espresso without always unpacking it. I've used/owned and sold a Gaggia factory lever, Flair espresso, Robot and now I've ended up with these two which I'm super happy with. I will attach pics soon!
I really like that the pico is compatible with the La Pavoni baskets. Who knows if it was deliberate or not but it really bothers me when companies design overly custom sizes as it locks you into their brand. the size of the nano makes sense for it's release and design but with the size increase for the pico it's nice to see them stepping away from custom sizes. it's not 58mm but the pico being sized at a more widely accessible basket size is a good direction and opens up the pico to a wider audience not to mention options for precision baskets as well as different sizes of baskets. This is similar to the flair58, flair has historically been very proprietary in their designs and are really big into upgrade options that only flair can service but the flair58 for the first time releases the brand from this locked model allowing standard baskets and PFs which is a huge win for flair customers. I'm not sure how well a 20gr basket would perform but you could use one if you wanted to, or if you like long shots/higher ratios you could get a lower dose basket option. It's just nice to know there are more options available outside the brand if wanted it. This could be a win for La Pavoni users too looking for portable options.

Marmot

#26: Post by Marmot »

I have recently found a ridiculous 30g+ basket which surprisingly fits in the Picopresso (but not a standard Pavoni bottomless portafilter). Just in case you need a quadruple ristretto :shock:

SaltydogNC

#27: Post by SaltydogNC »

CoolBeanz wrote:Just in case anyone is curious... I did buy a La Pavoni single shot basket and it works perfectly in the picopresso.
CoolBeanz, can you let us know which La Pavoni basket you ordered? I'm not sure which option to choose. Thanks so much.

BTW, I just joined the forum. I'm new to espresso and the Picopresso is my gateway drug. :D

#28: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) replying to SaltydogNC »

the pico comes with a stock 18g basket which is impressive for its size. typically hand pump things like this are 16g or less. when it comes to traditional dosing 7-8g is a single dose and double that is double (14-16g) then going up a triple is 3x the single 21-24g) these basket sizes are still common and it the reason why you may see a 21g dose basket and wonder why such a odd number (because it's a triple of a 7g dose). although 7g is a traditional single dose it can be plus/minus 1 so 6-8g is with that window and looking at a 6g shot 18g would be a triple.

I think 18g is a great starting point and is very typical for a stock basket with a 58mm PF. the 30+ gr that Marmot posted is simply ridiculous and I've never heard of one that goes so high (but I would probably buy it too). if you're looking for other sizes generally you can comfortably dose 1 gram up or down so a 18gr basket could be looked at as a 17-19g basket. Keeping in that step a 21g basket would cover 21-22g and after that 24g covers 23-25g. the same applies going down, a 15g basket would cover 14-16g and 7 or 8 gr basket would be suitable for a single. You don't typically get baskets in the 9-13g range and there's no demand (or very little) for those sizes. it seems it's either a single at 7-8g (which has a diminishing focus) or a double starting around 16g but modern espresso likes the larger basket sizes and 18g seems like a standard. I can't be sure how well a single basket would work in the pico and of course, there is always the option of splitting a double which is more common in modern espresso, or dosing down using a larger basket. Needless to say, a full range of baskets could be accomplished with 5 baskets of 7g, 15g, 18g, 21g, and 24g.

If I would have to only 1 basket I think it would be an 18g so I'm happy Wacaco nade that their stock and if I was looking at another I would probably get a 21g basket. I'm not really sure if the pico has a precision basket or not and if not I would be looking at replacement precision baskets. every manufacture will have differences so if pico doesn't release larger basket sizes it may be just a good idea to get an 18g La Pavoni basket too as it will be a similar profile to the larger baskets of La Pavoni too.

CoolBeanz

#29: Post by CoolBeanz »

SaltydogNC wrote:CoolBeanz, can you let us know which La Pavoni basket you ordered? I'm not sure which option to choose. Thanks so much.

BTW, I just joined the forum. I'm new to espresso and the Picopresso is my gateway drug. :D
I bought this one:

https://coffeeaddicts.ca/products/la-pa ... millennium

The site is in Canada but the part numbers are in there. Just a heads up the basket does fit but it's about 1mm too big for the funnel. It's about 0.5mm bigger than the tamper.

CoolBeanz

#30: Post by CoolBeanz »

DamianWarS wrote:the pico comes with a stock 18g basket which is impressive for its size. typically hand pump things like this are 16g or less. when it comes to traditional dosing 7-8g is a single dose and double that is double (14-16g) then going up a triple is 3x the single 21-24g) these basket sizes are still common and it the reason why you may see a 21g dose basket and wonder why such a odd number (because it's a triple of a 7g dose). although 7g is a traditional single dose it can be plus/minus 1 so 6-8g is with that window and looking at a 6g shot 18g would be a triple.

I think 18g is a great starting point and is very typical for a stock basket with a 58mm PF. the 30+ gr that Marmot posted is simply ridiculous and I've never heard of one that goes so high (but I would probably buy it too). if you're looking for other sizes generally you can comfortably dose 1 gram up or down so a 18gr basket could be looked at as a 17-19g basket. Keeping in that step a 21g basket would cover 21-22g and after that 24g covers 23-25g. the same applies going down, a 15g basket would cover 14-16g and 7 or 8 gr basket would be suitable for a single. You don't typically get baskets in the 9-13g range and there's no demand (or very little) for those sizes. it seems it's either a single at 7-8g (which has a diminishing focus) or a double starting around 16g but modern espresso likes the larger basket sizes and 18g seems like a standard. I can't be sure how well a single basket would work in the pico and of course, there is always the option of splitting a double which is more common in modern espresso, or dosing down using a larger basket. Needless to say, a full range of baskets could be accomplished with 5 baskets of 7g, 15g, 18g, 21g, and 24g.

If I would have to only 1 basket I think it would be an 18g so I'm happy Wacaco nade that their stock and if I was looking at another I would probably get a 21g basket. I'm not really sure if the pico has a precision basket or not and if not I would be looking at replacement precision baskets. every manufacture will have differences so if pico doesn't release larger basket sizes it may be just a good idea to get an 18g La Pavoni basket too as it will be a similar profile to the larger baskets of La Pavoni too.
I've had a bit more time to pull more shots from the single basket and I will say that it is really bringing me back to the days when I owned the Gaggia factory lever which is a copy of the la pavoni's or gaggia's take on levers. The main difference I've found is that from any basket volume stand point when you go down in size the shots are harder to tune in. On my grinder I used to take 1-2 notches as the coffee ages but I am finding I am taking 0.25 or 0.5 of a notch changes.

I think it doesn't matter what weight/volume you want but you definitely need to pair it with a consistent and capable grinder. In the end your trying to achieve the same amount of pressure to flow through your coffee grinds, the only limiting factor is the volume of water the pico can handle...