Pasquini Livia questions

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Cavallino

#1: Post by Cavallino »

Hi all. New to the forum. Just purchased a Pasquini Livia, which I believe is 8-10 years old. I've had a Gaggia classic for years but have no familiarity with the Livia, which is obviously a different animal. In general it looks very clean and the prior owner said she had it "refurbished" 3 years ago, though she couldn't remember what specific work was done. I fired it up and all seems to work as it should when brewing espresso, except for a leak around the portafilter which I expect a new gasket will cure, and steaming. A few issues/questions I was hoping you more experienced Livia owners/techs might be able to help me with.

I cannot get the hot water spout to work. When i turn the knob to extract hot water only a few drips come out. The pressure is where it should be. Not sure if there is a procedure I'm not following or if there is an issue with the machine.

I was also wondering about removing the tank, which i wanted to clean. With the Gaggia, the tank was freely removeable and i used to take it out once a week or so to clean it so that it wouldn't get slimy. Id like to clean the tank of the Livia regularly too. The Livia seems to be attached with 2 little nuts on each side, with the check valve in the middle. Do i need to simply remove these things to remove the tank? How does the check valve come out?

Any help and other maintenance tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

SJM

#2: Post by SJM »

If your Livia 90 is like mine, the plastic water tank will lift out. There is a level sensor on the left hand side (as you look at it) of the outside of that tank that will unplug (pull firmly but gently), which will then allow you to pull it up/out freely. You don't need to unscrew anything.

I found the transition from a Classic to the Livia 90 to be easy and very satisfying.

Cavallino (original poster)

#3: Post by Cavallino (original poster) replying to SJM »

Thanks very much. Was able to pull it out, though I'm not quite sure what the two little rivets and nuts on either side of the tank are. Mine has no level sensor - perhaps it's the age?