Owner experience with Bezzera Strega - Page 146

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mrgnomer

#1451: Post by mrgnomer »

bostonbuzz wrote:Which screen did you use exactly? I was under the impression that they wouldn't stay in place so I wrote them off. I'd like to try one.

I used the IMS ACC-E61-NT-SS Nanotec showerscreen. I haven't had a problem with it. I put it in with a Cafelat 8mm grouphead gasket. That I did have a problem with. My open portafilter doesn't lock in all the way and popped out from time to time. Next time I take everything apart I think I'll sand it down a bit.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

brz

#1452: Post by brz »

baldheadracing wrote:Tests by a local lever machine manufacturer :wink: showed that the Londinium version of the IMS 35 had the best-appearing and most even dispersion/shower flow among a bunch of shower screens. However, there was no difference in the cup with traditional roasts vs. the old-school clip-on lever screen (which is used in commercial Bezzera lever groups). The only shower screen that affected taste was the Matrix as the grind size had to be changed. For light roasts, I did a quick comparison between the Matrix vs. the Cafelat IMS 200: The Matrix Shower Screen and, as a result, kept the Cafelat IMS 200 in the Strega.

So based on your experience you suggest this one as best for Strega? https://www.cafelatstore.com/products/ims-screen
And it suits stock portafilter well?

PS my machine and group is of course levelled, checked using my iPhone level app

Advertisement
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1453: Post by baldheadracing »

brz wrote: So based on your experience you suggest this one as best for Strega? https://www.cafelatstore.com/products/ims-screen
And it suits stock portafilter well?

PS my machine and group is of course levelled, checked using my iPhone level app
I'd suggest figuring out your issue first before spending money.

A new shower screen won't change anything unless there is an issue with your current screen. As Kirk suggests, the first thing to do is to remove the screen and clean it. Coffee oils/residue do build up on the top of the screen and cleaning would be what I would do first.

I would suggest marking the orientation of the screen before you remove it. Then you can change the orientation of your screen when the screen is re-installed. If the dispersion pattern changes to match, then that would be the only reason that I would change the screen.

Finally, I now realize that I wasn't clear in my previous post. To clarify, I don't think that the screens would make much difference, if any, in the cup. The various IMS 'precision' screens - 35, 200, nanotech, high dose, etc. - were each designed to help address or solve specific issues that arise in commercial use. If you have one of those issues, then the appropriate screen can help. If you don't, then buy a bag of coffee instead :D.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

yokusan

#1454: Post by yokusan »

Small Teaser of a simple mod to control PI pressure using an adjustable pressure reducer behind the pump.
I will share more detail in the future.

royi_klein

#1455: Post by royi_klein »

Hi All

Got a bit lost in this long Thread.
After 8-9 years it's time for a full lever/group head maintanance (ther is a bit of a lick and the Lever doesn't really goes all the way up).
Did anyone posted some instructions here for that (maybe including all the parts/orings needed for that).

Thanks!

jpaulm

#1456: Post by jpaulm »

I have had my Strega for one year. I recently decided to remove the piston to clean and lube the seals. I'm happy to report that all went well!

The only catch was figuring out how to deal with the metal conduit that carries the wires for the microswitch. I discovered that the conduit will remain in place as the piston and spring assembly slide straight up over it. Be sure to pull through some extra wire from inside the machine to allow this.

Here are the instructions I followed: Another Bezzera Strega Lever Lube Job!

When it comes time to replace seals I will look at the Cafelat silicone options. Maybe someone can give specific advice as to which ones.

Stephane_Paris

#1457: Post by Stephane_Paris »

Hi, since fews days when the lever is down, there is a small delay before the pump triggered, not much just half of sec, today a little more, maybe 2 sec..., my first thought was it's time to change the (silicon) piston seal, i changed it around 2 years ago, i guess when he get old he can expand too much sometime and prevent to water to come on the group ?.. i added grease by the upside a week ago, i get no more water residue on pf since that but don't work for the delay problem..

Any idea ?

Thank's
LMWDP #588.

Advertisement
DanoM

#1458: Post by DanoM »

Stephane_Paris wrote:Hi, since fews days when the lever is down, there is a small delay before the pump triggered, not much just half of sec, today a little more, maybe 2 sec..., my first thought was it's time to change the (silicon) piston seal, i changed it around 2 years ago, i guess when he get old he can expand too much sometime and prevent to water to come on the group ?.. i added grease by the upside a week ago, i get no more water residue on pf since that but don't work for the delay problem..
When it does happen do you hear a muted/muffled vibe pump noise before the pump actually kicks in?
Does this happen every time or just the first time you pull the lever in a session?

If you don't have any mods for the pump pressure then it might be time to replace the pump?

Mine currently has a similar problem only on the first time the pump is activated, but I also have a dimmer switch to lower the pump pressure that could be part of the problem. I haven't investigated this further yet.
LMWDP #445

another_jim
Team HB

#1459: Post by another_jim »

Stephane_Paris wrote:Hi, since fews days when the lever is down, there is a small delay before the pump triggered, not much just half of sec, ..., my first thought was it's time to change the (silicon) piston seal
The pump is activated by a microswitch in the cowling at the top of the lever. The seals have no effect one way or another. On mine, I can turn the pump on and off by jiggling the lever when it is down. Maybe that is what is happening to you.
Jim Schulman

Stephane_Paris

#1460: Post by Stephane_Paris »

@ DanoM i don't think i ear a muted/muffled vibe pump noise before the pump start, i'll have more attention to that next time, not sure it happen only first time in a session, that happen only time to time maybe 1 for 10 pull..
No mod at all.

@ another_jim yes i can too turn on/off the pump when moving a little up down when the lever is down, that's the way that work no ?

Thank's for you replys ;)
LMWDP #588.