Owner experience with Bezzera Strega - Page 145

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Mr_Flauschig

#1441: Post by Mr_Flauschig »

How can I get better clarity/aroma? I'm a beginner with this machine, have read this whole thread and taken lots of notes. I've watched Jim's videos. I grind finer and dose higher. I experiment with pressure profiling some. None the less, my shots tend to come out with a kind of muted, blended aroma - not interesting. The shots tend to be thick and have more body than I'm used to, and the smell is diminished and indistinct. Basically, I'm concerned with fruity/floral light roasts. Warez my notes at??

My daily driver is a Flair Pro/Signature, where I do a lot of pressure profiling. I'm quite comfortable with the machine, and can produce quite good, consistent results, whether I'm looking for a thicker chocolatey shot for a latte, or a fruity-floral allonge, turbo, etc.

My general setup is to grind fine enough so that the first drips happen as the pump is quieting, about 10" after being turned on. Unless I"m trying to pressure profile, I don't hold the lever for PI or retard it during extraction. I am using the stock 14g basket dosed to 18g in, 36g out, or using a LM precision 7g single basket, 8.5g in, 34g out (depends on the type of coffee I'm using). Shot time is between 30-50", dialled in by taste. Flush time depends on the degree of roast, 0" or 2" for light/medium beans, 4" for medium-dark beans. All beans are pulled on the Flair before I go to the Strega.

I sometimes measure the flow rates with a BT scale, and they tend to be slower than on the Flair. I have tried reduced pressure on the Strega by letting the pump run only 6-7" and retarding the lever to a very slow flow rate, but that didn't help - although I have only tried a couple times, maybe I need to try more.

Am I grinding too fine/dosing too high? I feel like the low flow rates tend to produce more body and mute/blend aromas? I'm used to fruity/floral light roasts with much thinner body. Thoughts?

bostonbuzz

#1442: Post by bostonbuzz »

Try some longer quicker shots. If you can't extract them like that, try messing with your brew temperature.
LMWDP #353

mrgnomer

#1443: Post by mrgnomer »

I'd try one or the other. First I'd go lower dose if you're dialed in with another machine. Fresh light roasts can do a bit of blooming and need a bit of headspace. I'd check the top of the puck to see if there's a showerscreen indent. If there is dosing down until there isn't might help.

You could try a VST basket. I went from the stock to VST and the extractions went from bordering on ristretto to turbo with much less crema, more volume and more acidic fruit flavour. My machine has an IMS showerscreen.

My Strega is giving me consistently the driest pucks I've ever experienced. I think the soft preinfusion and ramping down spring pressure encourages even wetting to produce a puck with more resistance and less prone to channeling. For less resistance on really dark roasts I try reduce tamp pressure. I also grind coarser.

You could try to not flush at all and when you pull down stop just before the pump engages, hold for 10sec or so, let the lever rise to just where extraction starts, pull down again to just before the pump engages, hold another 10sec or so, let the lever lift to where extraction starts then let go. Kind of a spring lever fellini move. I do that kind of pull for dark roasts to keep the pressure down to prevent over extraction. With a light roast you might under extract with pressure but the higher heat of a no flush could compensate for that.

Also, if your in a cold climate, I find the grind setting that works for hot days tends to be too fine on cold days. It might be that the burrs are, like a razor, sharper because of the cold and grinding either finer or with more fines.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

jpaulm

#1444: Post by jpaulm »

Grinding coarser may increase the flow rate to match your Flair. I've had some interesting results by grinding a little on the coarse side, then retarding the lever after release very gently to get a longer lasting, slightly lower pressure, shot. Tends to bring out some more fruity flavours. Shot may be thinner but more distinct flavours.
However, after a year with the Strega, I must say I am still learning. Thanks to those who have made suggestions, and I look forward to hearing what others might say. It all helps!

brz

#1445: Post by brz »

Hello!

Has anyone experienced the problem when water passes unevenly through a shower screen? This happens all the time. I use both rotating WDT and distributor tools (hence it's not a puck prep problem), plus it can be reproduced even without a portafilter.

The water comes more at the side of the handle, about 60/40 or 70/30. The coffee machine is placed on a completely leveled surface.

I think it can have a big effect on extraction and taste.

espressotime

#1446: Post by espressotime »

I don't believe this affects the taste of the coffee.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#1447: Post by baldheadracing »

brz wrote:... The coffee machine is placed on a completely leveled surface.
Just wondering - have you checked that the group itself is level? You can adjust group's degree of level by turning the machine's feet.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

mrgnomer

#1448: Post by mrgnomer »

My stock showerscreen used to be a bit uneven on the flush. An IMS precision showerscreen upgrade made the flush more even.

Grounds and residues can build up inside the screen. Popping the gasket and screen every now and then could help the shower even out.

Uneven extraction could be a lot of things. I bang the puck out after every shot on a plastic yogurt container lid to check it out for any signs of stuff like channeling, uneven distribution or tamping. On dark roasts I try not to tamp too hard but on light roasts I gorilla it. Still I get fast and what looks like channeling pours on light roasts which I believe is to be expected. The extractions taste good.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

bostonbuzz

#1449: Post by bostonbuzz replying to mrgnomer »

Which screen did you use exactly? I was under the impression that they wouldn't stay in place so I wrote them off. I'd like to try one.
LMWDP #353

baldheadracing
Team HB

#1450: Post by baldheadracing »

The Strega takes almost any E-61-sized screen. However, E-61 screens usually have a blocked center, which is not needed on a lever group (although the stock Strega screen has a blocked center IIRC).

The current hotness for lever groups is the IMS 35 sold by Londinium. The previous hotness was the IMS 200 sold by Cafelat. Both of these are custom IMS screens that have holes in the center. I do not have the Londinium version; only the Cafelat.

Tests by a local lever machine manufacturer :wink: showed that the Londinium version of the IMS 35 had the best-appearing and most even dispersion/shower flow among a bunch of shower screens. However, there was no difference in the cup with traditional roasts vs. the old-school clip-on lever screen (which is used in commercial Bezzera lever groups). The only shower screen that affected taste was the Matrix as the grind size had to be changed. For light roasts, I did a quick comparison between the Matrix vs. the Cafelat IMS 200: The Matrix Shower Screen and, as a result, kept the Cafelat IMS 200 in the Strega.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada