Owner experience with Bezzera Strega - Page 142

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1411: Post by baldheadracing »

Hi:

You don't use a blind portafilter basket with a conventional spring lever like the Strega. The blind basket is only for machines that need to be backflushed due to those machines having a 3-way solenoid valve to relieve pressure at the end of a shot. On the Strega you just have to wait at the end of the shot for the system to depressurize.

The grill that you have is more practical than the punched grill as scratches from porcelain cups won't show on a wire grill. However, people do like the appearance of a punched grill.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

mrgnomer

#1412: Post by mrgnomer »

Thx. I have an e61 HX now and the blind filter is needed for the back flush. My understanding is with no grouphead pressure release on a lever there's nothing to back flush. You'd lock the portafilter in if you pulled the lever with a blind basket in, wouldn't you? But on more than one vendor site they list a blind portafilter as part of the accessories you get. I thought maybe the Strega needs it for some reason or why would they include one.

Thanks about the grill observation. Hadn't thought that the more solid one would get scratched up over time. Makes the grill sound better. Hope it doesn't rattle more when the pump is going. If it does rubber shims should stop that.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

baldheadracing
Team HB

#1413: Post by baldheadracing »

mrgnomer wrote:Thx. I have an e61 HX now and the blind filter is needed for the back flush. My understanding is with no grouphead pressure release on a lever there's nothing to back flush. You'd lock the portafilter in if you pulled the lever with a blind basket in, wouldn't you? But on more than one vendor site they list a blind portafilter as part of the accessories you get. I thought maybe the Strega needs it for some reason or why would they include one.
Sounds like some indiscriminate cutting-and-pasting :) ... and yes, the portafilter would get locked in with a blind basket. Something similar happens when one inadvertently uses way too fine of a grind. If this ever happens to you, then you can wait (easy and safe) or try to relieve pressure by pulling down on the lever a bit, but not far enough down that more water will be introduced.

Besides the usual plastic scoop, tamper, and grouphead brush, the Strega will come with single and double baskets, and single-spout and double-spout portafilters. The TOP will also come with a braided hose for water, and a brass plug that I think is to cover the inlet at the bottom of the reservoir. However, the Strega TOP does not come with a drain for the drip tray.

mrgnomer

#1414: Post by mrgnomer »

The Strega dedicated plumb in R version comes with an optional drip tray drain I believe.

So I take it the vendors are mistaken in including a blind portafilter for any Strega model and no one got one with the accessories. Makes sense. A small but confusing bad edit.
Kirk
LMWDP #116

mrgnomer

#1415: Post by mrgnomer »

Yes, the plastic coffee scoop and tamper that get added to other gratuitous accessories you already have or won't use came with the machine. Too bad Bezzera didn't offer a real tamper and a bottomless portafilter instead like some other companies are starting to do. Or a measured shot glass with a Bezzera logo or a Bezzera logo microfiber cloth....
Kirk
LMWDP #116

Marcje

#1416: Post by Marcje »

Hi all, I was curious about the actual extraction pressure of my Strega, so fabbed a manometer on the group head.
It was not a straight forward job, but seems to work really well.

It's plumbed so I don't use the pump, and the inner (small) spring is also removed, so the pressure is 7.5bar. I will put back the inner spring the coming weeks and do some comparsison shots. Feels like I have a new toy...

Here's what it looks like:

baldheadracing
Team HB

#1417: Post by baldheadracing »

Nice! Now to decide if I should remove my inner spring ...

DanoM

#1418: Post by DanoM »

Wow!!! I love the pressure gauge. Where did you tap into for that?

It will be interesting to see what the pressure difference is with the inner spring there too.
LMWDP #445

bostonbuzz

#1419: Post by bostonbuzz »

Please do start a new thread on adding a pressure gauge to the piston of a strega - I'd love to copy it. I'm planning on adding a pressure gauge teed to the grouphead feed line - which I did years ago but had some issues.

I presume you did the "naked" method where they drill a long hole through the center of the piston and then route the tubing to display the gauge?
LMWDP #353

Marcje

#1420: Post by Marcje replying to bostonbuzz »

Hi, to be honest, there are 2 reasons why I'm a bit reluctant to share a detailed 'how to' at this stage.
1) I did quite some invasive work to the group. It's actually 'pretty rough under the hood'. I also took take some technical risks and I am not yet sure how it will behave over time. So it's more a proof of concept than anything else, and I'd like to get a better feeling for the actual useability and robustness.
2) Some Strega owners in Europe here showed interest for an 'upgrade kit', and I'm currently fabbing some parts to see if that is feasible. The market is very small and I'm not dreaming of getting rich, but I once shared details of a homemade motorcycle part on a forum, and 2 months later I encountered an exact copy on eBay. Hate to see that happening again.

I hope you understand, but I will post updates in case there are things worth mentioning!