Owner experience with Bezzera Strega - Page 141

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Kinukcafe

#1401: Post by Kinukcafe »

Hi fellow Bezzera Strega users, I am in the market for my first prosumer machine. I am currently comparing an used La Pavoni or bite the bullet to go to the (to me) end game for an used Strega I see in the bay close to my budget. I hope it is okay for me to attach some pic of the listing here and hope to solicit some advice as I would like to avoid too much maintenance issues if it looks very beat up. Does it look alright to you? Is the brownish part the water tank? Is it corrosion or just oxidation and is normal for used machine? How well an used Strega can hold up on long run? Many thanks.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#1402: Post by baldheadracing »

Interesting early model (2011, not the "TOP" plummable version) that's been modified with a vacuum breaker with a tube (good) and a pre-infusion pressure gauge added (good). The mount for the pre-infusion pressure gauge is a bit of a hack but obviously works.

The boiler is copper so it gets darker with age and exposure to air. The darkness is caused by Copper(II) Oxide, which is good and protective.

No obvious rusting of the chassis, but ten year's worth of dust buildup on the chassis floor.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Kinukcafe

#1403: Post by Kinukcafe replying to baldheadracing »

Impressed that you can tell all the mod from the pic! Is it a good buy for £1000? I also spotted another one from 2019 asking for £1300. Would also like to hear your view if you don't mind. Thanks.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#1404: Post by baldheadracing »

That one has been modified too - the steam and hot water handles have been added, although from the seller's description it is just the handles; the valves themselves seem to still be toggles.

Does the 2011 come with a bottomless portafilter? I see that the 2019 has one.

Regardless, I see these machines on eBay UK - I would go with the £1135 L1 if it were my money, especially if the person selling it is the same dfk_41 who has been on the UK coffee forums

ETA: it is, maybe chat with him here: https://coffeetime.freeflarum.com/d/849 ... 014-ps1135

lienemann

#1405: Post by lienemann »

I am equally impressed that you can tell all those things from the posted pic. Makes me want to open up mine and post pics here as well for comparison's sake. Mine is a 2013 Strega according to the plaque.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#1406: Post by baldheadracing »

Kinukcafe

#1407: Post by Kinukcafe »

baldheadracing wrote:That one has been modified too - the steam and hot water handles have been added, although from the seller's description it is just the handles; the valves themselves seem to still be toggles.

Does the 2011 come with a bottomless portafilter? I see that the 2019 has one.

Regardless, I see these machines on eBay UK - I would go with the £1135 L1 if it were my money, especially if the person selling it is the same dfk_41 who has been on the UK coffee forums

ETA: it is, maybe chat with him here: https://coffeetime.freeflarum.com/d/849 ... 014-ps1135
Thanks for the link. David seems to be a very reputable member. It is always good to buy from someone trusted.

If we look at the machines alone, do you think the 2019/2011 Strega or L1 will offer better workflow/ consistency/ less maintenance for both espresso and milk drink? I naturally want to save cost but not sure I have a reasonable expectation on the reliability of a 10year device. I am okay to do maintenance from time to time, but too often May jet up the cost and depleting the interest. Sorry for the number of question. I really like the look and what I read about Strega/ L1 (plus MaraX). So, really want to make a educated decision before I make my first investment. Appreciate that!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#1408: Post by baldheadracing »

I'll continue the buying conversation in the other thread: Desperate for some espresso machine advice, budget £1000

mrgnomer

#1409: Post by mrgnomer »

Hey Strega enthusiasts. Just pulled the trigger on a good sale priced Strega TOP. Hope to fire it up tomorrow.

Got some questions regarding what I received. The deal was new machine chassis replaced due to shipping damage. Apart from an indent by the pressure gauge, stainless steel sheet misalignment at a corner fold and a bend in the side body panel that is noticeable by a distorted reflection the machine looks solid.

What it came with is the grill drip tray cover instead of the newer more solid one and no blind portafilter in the accessories. I kind of like the look of the present version but could live with the grill.

My question is, what is the blind portafilter for and do I really need one and is the current drip tray cover better than the grill? Sorry if the topic of the blind portafilter came up already. I haven't had a chance to go through the 140+ pages yet. Here's a picture of the grill
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

baldheadracing
Team HB

#1410: Post by baldheadracing »

Hi:

You don't use a blind portafilter basket with a conventional spring lever like the Strega. The blind basket is only for machines that need to be backflushed due to those machines having a 3-way solenoid valve to relieve pressure at the end of a shot. On the Strega you just have to wait at the end of the shot for the system to depressurize.

The grill that you have is more practical than the punched grill as scratches from porcelain cups won't show on a wire grill. However, people do like the appearance of a punched grill.