Owner experience with Bezzera Strega - Page 132

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Stephane_Paris

#1311: Post by Stephane_Paris »

Hi, when i switch on my Strega for the first hour i have some water on the pf, after about 1 hours (probably the heat) that don't happen anymore (Strega is On 8 hours by day) i never really pay attention to that, it happen since long time.. anyway is it normal ?

I have lube the inside of the cylinder using this method Bezzera Strega lever "jittery"

Edit about last post, the bean of the local seller was too light..
LMWDP #588.

DanoM

#1312: Post by DanoM » replying to Stephane_Paris »

Lubing from the bottom side of the piston sleeve generally works, but it's still hard to get all the seals well lubed that way. I generally use that method until it doesn't work for me - then I pull the piston assembly out.

You probably should pull the lever piston out and inspect the seals. If the seals look good then perhaps a generous lube application on the upper seals will help.
LMWDP #445

Stephane_Paris

#1313: Post by Stephane_Paris »

So the water on the pf can only be due to that ?
LMWDP #588.

DanoM

#1314: Post by DanoM » replying to Stephane_Paris »

When the seals are cold and stiff they don't hold back the pressure from the heat exchanger well. Lube serves as a small gap sealant between the seals and the piston wall. Without enough sealant water can seep past the seals. If the seals are damaged with little nicks and scratches it's even easier to happen - in that case more grease will buy you a little more time, but they would need to be changed soon.

That's the only source of water getting to the PF. And it's common to see when there isn't enough sealant/lube or damaged seals.
LMWDP #445

Stephane_Paris

#1315: Post by Stephane_Paris »

That's clear, Thank's ;)
LMWDP #588.

cdo

#1316: Post by cdo »

Hey guys, was looking at picking up a used strega but the owner lists it as having these problems: "The machine doesn't heat and there is a water flow issue. Pump works but no flow from the group" how bad does this sound? I was thinking it might be the boiler filling solenoid scaled over as the owner also mentions a scale issue. Should I run or go for it?

DanoM

#1317: Post by DanoM »

If you can't verify the issues then you'd better get a big discount! :wink:
Sounds to me like you have a good guess of what's wrong, but it could also be the brain box. If it's trying to fill the boiler when you turn the switch on and runs endlessly my guess would be the solenoid.

Just today, for the first time ever, I had the issue of my pump not working properly, so this is timing. The pump runs quieter than usual while trying to fill the boiler. I think it's the fill solenoid and fiddling around there a bit it started working again. Maybe debris or scale. If it comes up again I'll have to pull that part for inspection.

Could also be the pump is in need of repair/replacement.

If you're handy and the price is good... I really like my Strega!
LMWDP #445

another_jim
Team HB

#1318: Post by another_jim »

You're probably looking at a machine disassembly to clear out pipes and to replace the heater, along with some troubleshooting -- two full days work, a few hundred dollars in parts, possibly with long waits to get those parts. If you are used to fixing and restoring machines, or enjoy long term projects, it could be a bargain. If that's not your thing; it could be more like a nightmare.

On the plus side, Bezzeras are good project machines, designed to be serviced and repaired.
Jim Schulman

cdo

#1319: Post by cdo » replying to another_jim »

Yeah I kinda figured that I wouldn't mind the work aspects, I have taken apart most of my machines and grinders as they have been bought used. He was asking 750 and I offered him 500 but it seems someone paid the asking price as the listing is gone now, ah well.

zara

#1320: Post by zara »

well, after five years my machine tried to immolate itself. As the machine was warming up I noticed an electrical burning smell (kind of an astringent burnt popcorn and plastic smell). Shut her down and was able to get under the hood today. Kind of scary considering many of us have these machines on outlet timers and leave them unattended :shock:

Found the relay behind the power switch to be the culprit as well as some scorching on one of the wire leads to the boiler.
Has anyone seen anything similar?

from happier times lol...