Owner experience with Bezzera Strega - Page 128

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
chriscaffeine

#1271: Post by chriscaffeine »

It's been a few months with the Strega, on and off with overseas work, and so far it's been great. Just to recheck if I should be aiming 25-30ml over 25-30sec? For darker beans, I am aiming at 20-25ml based on 18-19gms of beans (slightly overdosed). Lighter roasts, I tend to aim a bit more towards 30ml. Am I heading towards the right direction?

Last but not least, Merry Christmas to all!

Marcje

#1272: Post by Marcje »

How many grams is your 30ml espresso?
18gr of grounds and 36grams of espresso in 25-30 sec is sort of the 'standard starting point' these days it seems. If you dial that in first, you can start playing around with grind size and quantity, and choose whatever you like best :wink:

chriscaffeine

#1273: Post by chriscaffeine replying to Marcje »

I usually overdosed it between 18-19gms. Seldom below or above this range. I am just aiming for the first drop just when the pump is changing pitch or goes "silent".

Stephane_Paris

#1274: Post by Stephane_Paris »

Hi, since i use bottomless pf my result get lot better and i keep learning, i just want you advice about one thing i notice sometime that i can't for now understand really, what make that sometime after few seconde of the shot the flow become one flow and other time i get 2 or 3 small flow ? when i get 2 or 3 small flow ratheone r then big blonding came faster and result are less interesting..

I believe it's not distirbution problem, i take care to that, no tamping pressure too, always the same.. any thought ?

Thank's fellows ;)
LMWDP #588.

another_jim
Team HB

#1275: Post by another_jim »

Getting the flow completely perfect from the bottomless is not necessary to get tasty shots. If you see squirting at any time in the shot, that is bad news. But if there's no squirting, and the flow starts out separate, and then combines later; most of the time, that doesn't affect the the taste.

Once you use a bottomless (and weigh doses) your shots will get better quite naturally, without having to worry or make dramatic changes. Just let your routine and muscle memory do the work.
Jim Schulman

Stephane_Paris

#1276: Post by Stephane_Paris »

another_jim wrote: But if there's no squirting, and the flow starts out separate, and then combines later; most of the time, that doesn't affect the the taste.
I talked about when it don't combine later, he finish with 2 or sometime 3 small flow, in that case blonding get sooner then if the flow combine to one flow :wink:
LMWDP #588.

another_jim
Team HB

#1277: Post by another_jim »

Yeah, if they never come together, you need to work on coffee grounds distribution.
Jim Schulman

triton91

#1278: Post by triton91 »

Could it also be the uneven coffee ground from your grinder? Wornout burr?

Stephane_Paris

#1279: Post by Stephane_Paris replying to triton91 »

I bought it second hands last years, but the burr seem pretty good, it was for home use before me apparently.

The problem i talk about came rarelly, most of the time the flow finish in one big flow after fews second, (i take pretty much attention to distribution and breaking clumps with mini whisk, then OCD..) my question was because i think sometime else cause that uneven flow (who finish in 2 or 3 flows) first that happen only with some coffee, and i wonder if the dose or pression is the cause, i'll have to check to be sure but i think most of the time when that happen i get mark shower screen trace on the puck after the shot (but i also get sometime that mark on puck for a great extraction so..)
LMWDP #588.

deed

#1280: Post by deed »

I've noticed the sensor to be triggered on and off quite frequently with my Strega. It's the one that activates the boiler since I hear the click sensor sound follow by a boiler rumbling.

It happens around every minute or two. Is this normal or is it a sign of an underlying or forthcoming issue.

Had this machine for a little offer a year with filtered water.