"Osma Express" Cremina Machine - what can you tell me?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Dambid

#1: Post by Dambid »

After many unsuccessful attempts to purchase an Olympia Cremina machine, in 2011 I purchased an "Osma Express Cremina", which appears to be identical at first glance. It's a solid, well crafted machine, but has minor differences like plastic tubing and plastic drip tray (still has metal screen). I've googled it in the past and again recently, but have never really found any information about it. Does anyone know anything about it's history? I've never owned an Olympia, so wondering if it is on par. Any information would be appreciated. Best, Dan

civ

#2: Post by civ »

Hello:
Dambid wrote: ... in 2011 I purchased an "Osma Express Cremina" ...
Perchance is it this one?
danmc@coffeegeek Dec 15, 2011 wrote: I have one of these machines. Looks the same as yours. Graphite case, mater pstat, plastic piping. My serial number is on the rear inside of the case. Does yours have the bolts holding the lever together or the clips. Nime has bolts.

In any case, I rebuilt mine with the standard rebuild kit from Orphan Espresso. Replaced the piping too - that took some work.

As far as origin goes, I think Olympia Express shut down in 1994-96. Some of the workers continued to make machines. Not sure what the retail channels were but I have seen two of these in the sf bay area.

They are nice machines. Pulls great shots. Every bit as good as my "official" [Cremina].

Check the Posting images on HB page.
It would be nice for owners of standard issue Creminas to be able to see how your "Osma" model compares to theirs.

Cheers,

CIV

Advertisement
beerwiffle

#3: Post by beerwiffle »

I have one of the Osma machines too. I only have a paper sticker on the inside that says it was made in 1995, which lines up with the shutdown mentioned in the post above. Mine came with a Ceme pressurestat and there is no washer or circlip for the upper piston seal--it is just press fit in there. When I tried to install those "missing" parts, they did not fit so it seems intentional. Also have the bolts that screw into the lever instead of the pins and circlips.

civ

#4: Post by civ »

Hello:
beerwiffle wrote: ... have one of the Osma machines ....
... only have a paper sticker on the inside ...
... Ceme pressurestat and there is no washer or circlip ...
... bolts that screw into the lever instead ...
It would be great if you, the OP (or maybe both!) posted photos of this elusive Cremina model, specifically of those things which you think are different from the standard model.

I don't have a Cremina but many HB members do and am quite sure would find the photos interesting.

TIA,

CIV

beerwiffle

#5: Post by beerwiffle »

I finally got around to take some photos today. I have replaced the wiring and before it came to me it looks like somebody switched out the plastic steam pipe for a copper one.