One week with the La Marzocco GS3 - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
annp

#31: Post by annp »

HB wrote:You are killing me! You add yourself to the list to purchase a $4500 machine and hesitate to spend less than $100 for a plug-n-play modification to your current setup? You could probably sell it a year later and recover most of your cost... so now we're talking about ~$50.

And now a moment for one of my mini-rants...

I'm reminded of a recent discussion with Bob Barraza. He was showing me a timer to reduce his grinder waste to less than a couple tenths of a gram. He tsk tsk'd my volume measurement technique because it wasted a gram or two per shot. It makes economical sense to fuss about minute waste reduction in a shop pulling hundreds of shots a day, but in my home, a month's savings wouldn't amount to enough coffee to make a few espressos! I toss out that many in a week just experimenting - and this week I've tossed out dozens. If one wants to save money, get a top-end grinder and a French press. Espresso preparation at home is the least cost effective way to enjoy coffee. Economize on stuff like tampers (inside joke), not coffee.
Ok, ok! Point taken! And according to Dave, my tamper has a distinguished lineage!

It's not the cost of Eric's adaptor - thats nothing - I'm thinking of the whole package, meter and everything, and whats the best solution with the most flexibility.

The way I understand it and correct me if I'm wrong, is the Scace device fits anything that accepts a 58mm portafilter, therefore is the most useful on different machines and if ultimately it's not useful for any current or future application of mine, I'll be able to find it a home with someone else. That was my reasoning.

Since I've got no desire to hijack this thread away from the hallowed GS3 - I'm going to ask a couple of questions over at the thread that pertains to Eric's device because I did consider it for Anita specifically.

Ann

mogogear

#32: Post by mogogear »

Dan,
Great info and input, thanks for taking the time to share what for many will be their only chance to experience this machine.(Me)
........Wait.... ,I just found one in the Canary Islands Craigslist for $150.00!!!! :shock: :wink:

Could you post some nice frontal and profile pictures so I can get a better sense of its totality?
Thanks
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

HB (original poster)
Admin

#33: Post by HB (original poster) »

Photographing in our kitchen isn't easy because there's a lot of shade in the back. I'll snap some photos when it's back at Counter Culture. In the meantime, flickr search offered these photos. I'm sure you'll really appreciate the first one:

Dan Kehn

Marshall

#34: Post by Marshall »

As you know, Kent Bakke is bringing a GS3 to the SCAA Homecoming next week. With luck it will be one of the later machines we saw in Charlotte. What questions would people like us to ask him?
Marshall
Los Angeles

HB (original poster)
Admin

#35: Post by HB (original poster) »

Compass Coffee wrote:Might be nice to have both the PF and clear demi in the videos if possible.
Here you go:

«missing video»

Based on the small height of the "speed bump" and good results with longer preinfusion times (see The Secret Life of Ristrettos), I've increased the pump-on time to 2 seconds and left the off time at 2 seconds. You will hear a distinct click of the solenoid reopening around the six second mark (note that the audio track may lag the video playback).
Dan Kehn

gscace

#36: Post by gscace »

HB wrote:The thermofilter is great for diagnostic purposes, but I certainly would expect one would not be required for a production version GS3. I'm not a coffee professional, and yet I accurately judged the (incorrect) display temperature offset without one. Of course, that trick only works for coffee with which I am very familiar.

As for Anita's temperature mysteries, I recommend Eric's E61 thermocouple adapter. I installed a permanant one on La Valentina and did dozens of thermofilter tests as part of a planned experiment on Saturday. The reproducibility of the first two pulls wandered a bit, but the accuracy of the remaining pulls made the GS3 jealous.
Be careful about drawing conclusions based on the prototype GS3. You might want to talk to Bill about the temperature probe in the one you are using. The one I had demonstrated half degree reproducibility, but some others didn't. The problem was traced back to response time of the temperature probes, of which several varieties were used, with some exhibiting faster response time than others. If you have temperature deviations I would guess that you have a slow reponse time probe. Bill Crossland will know if this is true or not. Since results of your test week are gonna be looked at for a long time, I would make sure they are not in error.

Also to clarify some things mentioned in this thread: The production version has a steam wand that is moveable in all directions, not just rotatable. Bill specifically asked all of us that tested the prototypes to refrain from commenting on the drip tray / steam wand position because the trays were very rudimentary add-ons that were constructed quickly so that a large number of prototypes could get out to door to testers. The drip tray design on the production version is different. Again, you should probably talk to Bill to learn more about this.

WRT control menus in the keypad: The prototypes were diliberately confusing to program, with more critical controls, such as brew temps and tuning parameters, buried deep in the menu hierarchy. The reason for this was so that folks diddling with the machines at trade shows wouldn't screw up critical functions. The production versions will be different in this regard. Talk to Bill.

Ergonomics: I initially didn't like the position of the steam valve actuation lever, but after using it for a while I found it convenient. It's pretty easy to hold the pitcher with your left hand, steadying it with your right, which is then immediately adjacent to the lever. Just takes some getting used to.

-Greg "Talk to Bill" Scace

Compass Coffee

#37: Post by Compass Coffee »

Marshall wrote:As you know, Kent Bakke is bringing a GS3 to the SCAA Homecoming next week. With luck it will be one of the later machines we saw in Charlotte. What questions would people like us to ask him?
Only one question, can I take it home with me :?: :!: :lol: :wink:
Mike McGinness

HB (original poster)
Admin

#38: Post by HB (original poster) »

gscace wrote:Since results of your test week are gonna be looked at for a long time, I would make sure they are not in error.
This is exactly why I did not publish data - it's a prototype.
Bill specifically asked all of us that tested the prototypes to refrain from commenting on the drip tray / steam wand position because the trays were very rudimentary add-ons that were constructed quickly so that a large number of prototypes could get out to door to testers.
Thanks, I hope that everyone understands that this espresso machine and any other version of it reported elsewhere on the web is a prototype. Subsequently the reported results and observations will undoubtly change.
The reason for this was so that folks diddling with the machines at trade shows wouldn't screw up critical functions. The production versions will be different in this regard.
Yes, Chris et al mentioned this reason. Not that it matters, but I wonder why they didn't use a password like on the GB5 if it's such a concern? Resetting the volumetric dosing is extremely easy, which would be disruptive in a trade show setting too.
It's pretty easy to hold the pitcher with your left hand, steadying it with your right, which is then immediately adjacent to the lever. Just takes some getting used to.
When I make my feeble attempts at latte art, I hold the pitcher in my right hand. The GS3's arrangement requires that I switch from the left to the right. You say it requires "getting used to", I find it clumsy. It's a minor point, and given the machine's incredible compactness, I assume it was a necessary tradeoff.
Dan Kehn

Marshall

#39: Post by Marshall »

HB wrote:It may prove challenging. The two boilers are literally touching each other:
Dan,

The GS3 spec sheet says each boiler is "5 liters." From your photo, I'd say that's impossible. Do you have the correct capacities?
Marshall
Los Angeles

HB (original poster)
Admin

#40: Post by HB (original poster) »

Marshall wrote:Do you have the correct capacities?
Sorry Marshall, I don't know this prototype GS3's capacities, heating element wattage, etc. BTW, it's not shown in the photo, but the pump is underneath the smaller boiler and it's easily seen from the front when the driptray is removed.
Dan Kehn