olympia minimatic

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ideor

#1: Post by ideor »

yes, you read the header correctly. not a typo. was browsing german ebay when encountered this lisiting. at first of course assumed it to be a misnomer. upon sighting machine appears to be a maximatic. closer inspection reveals an absence of discharge for the electrovalve (there isn't one). pf and bayonet ring look to be saeco.

switches are of the late black bezel type which would indicate it was made in the last four years of so before the company's 1992 closing. the unit's serial number appears to begin with "89..." indicating it was made in that year. the last year for brass saeco boilers was about 1988, but the machine's brass boiler is larger than the standard saeco of the time. does anyone have one of these or any additional information on them?

ideor "...and i thought the olympia badged europiccolas were odd" ;-)

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0192922813

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
mogogear

#2: Post by mogogear »

I saw that little devil last night! It seemed to be a precursor to the Maximatic- but I think I could read the serial number as mid 1980's- so maybe my hypotheses is wrong..

It seemed to have a Silvia-esque smaller boiler mounted to the top of the group head ( with 3 different temp thermostats) with the reservoir taking up much of the rear body area.

The BIN price as a bit steep at about CH $800 :shock:

I saw another one of Olympia's -La Pavoni- clones also for about CH$800.......
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

roadman
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by roadman »

Our local espresso machine repair shop has one. He's got all kinds of interesting old equipment at his shop. The shop owner used to sell and service the complete Olympia line back when the original owners were up and running. When I told him I might be interested in buying the Minimatic he shook his head and told me to steer clear of it as it wasn't the same quality level as the rest of the Olympia line. I ended up getting an old Maximatic instead.

Jon

Knock

#4: Post by Knock »

ooooh I hate being pipped to a post - saw that some days ago but as the auction was/is active I thought it unfair to flag up.

SaecoBoiler - is it a thermoblock Ideor, at least that was my guess when I saw the innards and where the brass is located. I suppose this was an attempt at producing a slightly cheaper diffusion model given the time it was made. Transfer badge, non standard cast portafilter, frame looks like a modded Cremina box etc? Only other reference I could find was on a German coffee site about someone looking for parts/repairs.

Thank god you guys are (nearly) all 110 volt or I'd never get my hands on anything! And no, I am not the 1 extant bidder.

That Oly Europiccola on sale at the moment has been put up at least twice before - the seller wants way too much in my honest opinion. 800CHF is almost twice the price of the last 2 of those I have seen.

Hope someone who can share the experience picks it up.
Peter Kilpatrick

JB130

#5: Post by JB130 »

Knock wrote: That Oly Europiccola on sale at the moment has been put up at least twice before - the seller wants way too much in my honest opinion. 800CHF is almost twice the price of the last 2 of those I have seen.

Hope someone who can share the experience picks it up.
sneaky
Good news: the seller has come to his senses and dropped the price ... to 799 CHF!

John