Olympia Maximatic update

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
drH

#1: Post by drH »

Aside from the Cremina SL, it seems Olympia Express has been busy with some upgrades to the Maximatic as well. Check out the images on Cerini's website and compare them to some recent images you can still find on google. It looks like there have been several internal changes including swapping out some brass parts for what look like stainless. On the face of the machine there is also a new button/light. Does anyone know more about these changes?

New: https://www.cerinicoffee.com/products/o ... witzerland

Example of previous: https://www.sibler.com/de/Espressomasch ... 0.122.html

Shojin

#2: Post by Shojin »

Good spot! I'm seriously thinking about buying one of these in the next week or two, so it would be good to know what they're fiddling about with.

Richard

#3: Post by Richard »

drH wrote:Aside from the Cremina SL, it seems Olympia Express has been busy with some upgrades to the Maximatic as well. Check out the images on Cerini's website and compare them to some recent images you can still find on google. It looks like there have been several internal changes including swapping out some brass parts for what look like stainless. On the face of the machine there is also a new button/light. Does anyone know more about these changes?

New: https://www.cerinicoffee.com/products/o ... witzerland

Example of previous: https://www.sibler.com/de/Espressomasch ... 0.122.html
Since my machine was new ~ 1 1/2 years ago and it has those same internal stainless components, I'll say those changes are not new. The new owner's manual (available on the Olympia website) describes the new light as Control Light; while the descriptions are vague (as usual), the impression is that the new light is on whenever the machine is switched on and the overheat thermostat hasn't tripped. The light in the brew button functions as always.
-- Richard

drH (original poster)

#4: Post by drH (original poster) replying to Richard »

Ok, then it must just be the updated pics on the website that are new.

Shojin

#5: Post by Shojin »

Richard wrote:Since my machine was new ~ 1 1/2 years ago
Happy with it?

Richard

#6: Post by Richard »

Shojin wrote:Happy with it [Maximatic]?
Yes.
-- Richard

drH (original poster)

#7: Post by drH (original poster) »

I'm also considering buying one and have polled many owners in these forums. No one has had any major complaints and I think the HB review of the Maximatic seems on target.
One fact that seems worth noting is that experts mentioned to me that the machine does require attention to technique and isn't very forgiving of improper puck preparation. This is probably due to the lack of preinfusion and no over-pressure valve. So, perhaps it's not much of an issue depending on your barista skills but it's worth keeping in mind to set expectations.

Shojin

#8: Post by Shojin »

Well I'm coming from a Linea Mini, so no real pre-infusion there, or not controllable at least. The over-pressure valve is for if you choke it with too fine a grind right? What happens on a Maximatic? It just eventually explodes if you leave it trying to force water through an impenetrable puck?

drH (original poster)

#9: Post by drH (original poster) replying to Shojin »

So why the switch from a Linea, which I'm sure gives you all the power you need and temperature stability as well?

I not an expert but I think the OPV is usually set to ensure a reasonable maximum pressure. So if you set it to 10bar, no matter how fine you grind the water pressure will max at 10 bar. Without the OPV I guess you would max out at the maximum pump pressure... probably something like 12-15 bar. I think the result would be coffee that doesn't taste very good. It would be your technique alone that would ensure hitting the sweet spot at 9bar.

Happy to be corrected by the other experts on the forum.

Shojin

#10: Post by Shojin »

drH wrote:So why the switch from a Linea, which I'm sure gives you all the power you need and temperature stability as well?
I've hit on one of not very many reasons why this makes sense - moved to a new place and it won't fit in the kitchen.

Re. OPV explanation - thanks, that makes sense.