Olympia Maximatic portafilter gasket leak

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
HBfencing

#1: Post by HBfencing »

So I replaced my PF gasket (54mm) with a gasket from Cerini's. I think the one I had in there before was from Orphan Espresso and it's slightly thicker than the one from Cerini's.

The OE gasket worked fine but I had a slow leak in one area of the PF. I think because the gasket had a slight tear.

When I replaced with the Olympia/ Cerini's coffee gasket I get all out leaks with freshly ground coffee so I stopped and ran it through again with a wet puck and no leaks.

I have videos but having some difficulty loading them.

When I called Cerini's they indicated maybe the group ears were worn and probably needed a new group.

I'm gonna get some more gaskets from Doug at OE and try those. Worth a shot.

Any other suggestions?

Anyone else have a used 54mm group that they want to sell?

greenbeans
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by greenbeans »

Is this of any help? I switched to silicone gaskets a few years ago. They are easier to seal and wear well. You may already be using them so if so just ignore this post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbHiIr3GCMs

HBfencing (original poster)

#3: Post by HBfencing (original poster) replying to greenbeans »

Thanks for the response. Do you know if they make them for the maximatic? I'll do a Google site search. I have them for my spring lever and like them a lot.

greenbeans
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by greenbeans »

I don't but you could contact them and ask. It's the Cafelat site.
https://www.cafelatstore.com/

#5: Post by HBfencing (original poster) »

https://www.orphanespresso.com/Maximati ... _2093.html

Hope these work otherwise new group time but hopefully not

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

HBfencing wrote:When I called Cerini's they indicated maybe the group ears were worn and probably needed a new group.
Do you mean the portafilter ears? Or the group channel? Either way, if the ears/channel is too worn, the tell is the lock-in position. If it's way past the normal lock-in position, you can add a shim gasket underneath the grouphead gasket (pre-made for common group sizes, otherwise you have to make your own).
Dan Kehn

cannonfodder
Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder »

Some group gaskets also have a very slight taper to them. There is a top and bottom. You may check to make sure you have the gasket installed in the correct direction. Although putting it upside down usually means you cannot get it seated in the gasket raceway. Otherwise, paper gasket shims.
Dave Stephens

#8: Post by HBfencing (original poster) replying to cannonfodder »

I installed with the beveled side up. Hopefully the ones from Orphan Espresso work

Richard

#9: Post by Richard »

HBfencing wrote: Hopefully the ones from Orphan Espresso work
My Maximatic is ~ 4 years old, so not an antique. Orphan Espresso portafilter gaskets are grossly too thick and will not work.
-- Richard

#10: Post by HBfencing (original poster) replying to Richard »

Thanks for the feedback.

If I can manage to take out the PF gasket without damaging it I'll send it your way since I'm not going to get a refund from Cerini's.

My machine is a 1984 vintage so I think this will work out better for me.