Olympia Maximatic / Coffex / Pasquini Livietta Water Tank Filter Workaround

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

While reassembling my 1990 Coffex I found that the replacement water tank filter doesn't match the original part that is shredding. Here is where I left off disassembling this. These are the unmatched parts. The new part doesn't thread into the bottom of the water tank and these tanks are what Doug Garrott has called "unobtainium" as is the old water tank filter.

I inserted a 1/4 inch hard plastic tube in the bottom plug. (That tubing came with my FloJet pump.) The bottom plug has two o-rings installed that create a tight seal mating the bottom of the water tank with the intake valve.

Then I fitted a 3/8 inch silicone tube over the 1/4 inch one.

The 3/8 inch (OD) soft silicone tube makes a nice seal in the bottom of the new water tank filter. Here's the new filter in place. The water drawn from the tank will be filtered, as designed.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Eastsideloco

#2: Post by Eastsideloco »

The spring and ball bearing in your other post are part of this assembly. The ball bearing gets pushed up when the reservoir is seated, which opens the water reservoir to the HX hydraulic circuit. When the reservoir is lifted out, the spring pushes the ball bearing down and closes the orifice. This way the water reservoir can be removed or installed with water in it without spilling.

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Thanks, David. That's one messy leak that won't happen.

This is how I reinserted that retaining ball bearing and spring. It works. Here are the tiny bearing and spring that fit inside the water tank fitting.

First, insert the bearing.

Then the spring.

Here's how it fastens into the bottom of the water tank.

I had to jiggle the stiff inner pipe so it didn't push too far into the fitting, but it inserted fine, and it created a watertight connection. The bottom of the new filter doesn't have to exactly snug against the water tank junction. The silicone tube holds it in place and seals the bottom of the filter. The filter is inserted after the valve is screwed into the bottom of the tank.

This is the male connector that fastens into the water tank bracket and opens that valve with the needle in the center.

Here it is inserted, allowing water to flow to the pump.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!