Olympia Caffarex - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Youjest

#11: Post by Youjest »

Nice machine Sneaky!

I just purchased a Caffarex this week.

The seller's description implied that it was working. I attempted to make some 'spro' after descaling and backflushing. Nothing came out of the portafilter. Checked the brew pressure. There was very little. Replaced one rusty valve. Still no pressure. Opened up the HX and found it swollen and cracked. Someone left water in it and store the machine in freezing weather. AAARRRGGHH! Thanks to John K's handy work the HX is patched.

I figured I am already in this deep. I must go all the way. The machine is now stripped down to the frame. A nice powder coating will do nicely.

More pictures to come as the machine is brought back to life!

Brian

P.S. No more lurking MOGOGEAR! :D

mogogear

#12: Post by mogogear »

Welcome Brian- ! Good to have you here. I had the good fortune to meet Brian at Coffee Fest a few days ago.He is a friend of JohnK and they both lurk around the Tacoma WA. area....

They also got to meet Joe at the Good Coffee Company as of late.......
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

peacecup

#13: Post by peacecup »

Does this mean a 220V Sama or Cremina will need to be surplused to make counter space? :evil:

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Youjest

#14: Post by Youjest »

PC,

If you are refering to me, the answer is no. This is a project for me.

Although I must admit, I sense a strong urge to obtain a lever machine. The force is strong!

I may be joining the LMWDP before long. That is if you will have me of course.

Cheers.

Brian

caeffe

#15: Post by caeffe »

Youjest wrote:Nice machine Sneaky!

I just purchased a Caffarex this week.

The seller's description implied that it was working. I attempted to make some 'spro' after descaling and backflushing. Nothing came out of the portafilter. Checked the brew pressure. There was very little. Replaced one rusty valve. Still no pressure. Opened up the HX and found it swollen and cracked. Someone left water in it and store the machine in freezing weather. AAARRRGGHH! Thanks to John K's handy work the HX is patched.
I was eyeing that one also.
Somehow the spro machine bug has hit me ... I've got an NS Oscar but these 'antiques' have me intrigued. Same with older cameras (rollei, nikon, pentax - pre auto focus ones)

Congrats and keep us updated on the restoration. We can all kibitz and live through your trials and joys ....

Knock (original poster)

#16: Post by Knock (original poster) »

Well, well, well: woodwork squaks and out come the freaks indeed.

Great to see these getting a public airing - I haven't been able to play with my Caffarex properly yet which is terribly frustrating. I know they're old but as far as I can tell they not really vintage machines yet, mainly cause I'm not really sure what significant advantages the bulk of current machines have over them.

Peace Jack - and maybe... :twisted:

Vis paint jobs:
I was wondering whether a stove enamalling process such as that used on bike frames would be suitable? Main reason for asking this is that the current finish on some of my machines is a slight "Flam" effect that I'd like to replicate in a refurb, and as far as I know powder coating doesn't produce this - any advice from those with experience?
Peter Kilpatrick

mogogear

#17: Post by mogogear »

Knock wrote:....
Peace Jack - and maybe... :twisted:

Vis paint jobs:
I was wondering whether a stove enameling process such as that used on bike frames would be suitable? Main reason for asking this is that the current finish on some of my machines is a slight "Flam" ???? effect that I'd like to replicate in a refurb, and as far as I know powder coating doesn't produce this - any advice from those with experience?

Flam..................................? :shock: Ok, Knock you lost me unless Flame is the target here? You might have the base coat of the body Powder coated and then have someone airbrush on some flames...?
Hey - you sir are also in charge of watching after our friend Peacecup when he makes it to your side of the pond...

and even though I have no Cafferex- I will be lolling back here with the Maximatic- slumming with the poor folk- riding in coach while you refill your boiler with a touch of the magic blue button- you and Youjest and another privileged sot.... :roll: Bells and whistles! La De Da
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

Knock (original poster)

#18: Post by Knock (original poster) »

Hey Mo,

whilst the attractions of a flamelick paint job have their place, it aint near me, whatever my avatar may suggest!

Flam is the usual bikeworld name, over here at least, for a flambouyant paint finish - a sort of lightly sparkling finish which is less gaudy than a full metallic paintjob. Check out some frame builders for an idea.

Sweden is a stranger place than I can imagine - it's always sold here as sort of model state to our dysfunctional mess. I'm sure PC will have a great time, once he get's over the tax rate!

Off to fiddle with my buttons now that I've pulled my lever for the day.
Peter Kilpatrick