Olympia Caffarex Boiler/ HX Issues

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ChrisE

#1: Post by ChrisE »

Hi guys
I have been lurking and reading for a while - thanks for all the great advice! Now my first post sadly with an issue I am hoping for help on. I bought an Olympia Caffarex online. It arrived today - looking tremendous. However, I have hit an issue straight out of the gate. After about 25 minutes of trying to pull a shot and just getting a dribble, the overflow valve starts pouring out water. This photo just a dribble but it was really spurting out!

It turns out that when you press the brew button, it just seems that the water comes out of the tank and leaks somehow into the boiler. You can see the boiler level rising via the sightglass.

Reading old posts it sounds like the HX is broken/ cracked and leaking. Anyone have any advice?
Thanks in advance for any guidance. BTW I am UK based so anyone who can recommend a UK based espresso machine genius then let me know! Also, as I am in the UK there are no distributors for Olympia parts unless knows something I don't!

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Sorry for your troubles. That machine is so collectible it's worth fixing if you can. Maybe you can show us a photo of the HX (heat exchanger) after disassembling it. Without a better photo than what you're showing so far it looks like the HX on a Maximatic, and repair or replacement might be swappable with a Maximatic HX if the HX is the issue.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
ChrisE (original poster)

#3: Post by ChrisE (original poster) »

Thanks Gary. I will disassemble as you suggest and share a photo of what I find. I agree it is a gorgeous machine. I will probably get the chance to do that on Monday week. Thanks

Chris