Nuova Simonelli Oscar with Illy pod kit (removal advice)

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
elcoocooi

#1: Post by elcoocooi »

Hello coffeeeeeers:

I just picked up a beautiful NS Oscar only to bring it home and realize that it has a pod kit on it. After reading this thread Nuova Simonelli Oscar diffuser, I read most of what I needed except for how to remove the brass plate to get to the Allen screws in the pod kit attached to the group head! I am picking up a used mazzer mini today and I'd really like to test out the machine asap as I have been machine-less for several months now! Aeropress just isn't doing it for me...

newrevolution123

#2: Post by newrevolution123 »

If I recall correctly, you need either some pliers or a wrench to remove the central plate. But the main challenge is to get a grip, I think you need the push the outer edges up and hold them until you get your wrench into position before finally turning the tool anticlockwise(not 100% sure).

Let me know if I am incorrect because it has been a while since I removed the illy kit.

PS: If you can see some screws then you may need to take them out first (with allen keys. If the brass plate doesn't come off then prying it will work (coffee oil can act as glue).
"Success is something you attract by the person you become.” -- Jim Rohn

elcoocooi (original poster)

#3: Post by elcoocooi (original poster) »

It is as you say. I will try to just remove that central nut in the morning. I will post pics if I get it done.

#4: Post by elcoocooi (original poster) »

I was able to remove the center brass piece to expose the three allen screws holding this Illy pod kit in place. For future people who might get this machine, I have attached photos. Basically, you can use a large driver or some pliers (I used clamping pliers). I would recommend the driver for height clearance.

Nonetheless, after a good hard twist, the nut came loose and it was removable by hand. It is spring loaded so it pops right off and exposes the three allen screws and some phillips head screws. Once this brass piece is removed, it is very easily removable. The whole pod "group head" easily twists off and that's it.

I had some old Rancilio portafilters which I thought were going to fit as they're 58mm, but they don't. This is a simple fact I found out after removing the pod kit though there are threads about this exact question. I am debating on whether to go for the bottomless portafilter with a triple basket from espressoparts.com or getting a basic double spout portafilter with a double basket. If I were to get the bottomless PF, would my rancilio baskets fit in it?

sweaner

#5: Post by sweaner »

Go for the bottomless, your baskets should fit fine.
Scott
LMWDP #248

newrevolution123

#6: Post by newrevolution123 »

Well done for successfully removing the old kit. You must feel relieved now.

I have bottomless portafilters and they are great. Double spouted one only makes sense if you split your shots (which is unlikely) or if you like serving weak espresso shots to your guests :wink:

AZRich

#7: Post by AZRich »

I have a bottomless for the Oscar available ( saved it from when I had an Oscar a few years ago) -
pm sent to the OP
Rich

#8: Post by elcoocooi (original poster) »

I got my gasket, shower screen, and new portafilter earlier this week only to see that I needed a new dispersion disc since the old one is a no-go. A few more days til I get going still. Also, picked up what seems to be a mazzer super jolly that I am tuning up a bit before I really get going.

newrevolution123

#9: Post by newrevolution123 replying to elcoocooi »

It is worth waiting a bit to get the right parts. Also don't forget to order the paper shims as you may need one to install the new parts and avoid leaks. Good luck.