Nuova Simonelli Oscar II Review - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mp84

#21: Post by mp84 »

Hi Everyone,

I've recently purchased an Oscar II - glad to see so many great reviews. Reading through them is making me quite jealous as I am not able to produce excellent results as many of you described - to me the Oscar hasn't felt very forgiving. Just wondering if anyone would be able to share their process for pulling a shot on the Oscar, maybe there is something I am missing.

I have found that no matter what I do my coffee takes up 10s to start but then gushes to produce a shot in about 22s total. The shot has thin crema and tastes thin and watery. I am guessing this is a result of channeling but I am not 100% sure how to correct this. Are any of you using any distribution methods like WDT? That's something I haven't tried.

I also have a question about cooling flushes - I find if I flush too long my next shot takes forever to start, like 15-20s for the coffee to start dripping. Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone found an ideal time for a cooling flush (maybe 2-3secs)?

Thanks!

olivers

#22: Post by olivers replying to mp84 »

Hey, if you haven't done it already, you MUST install an OPV on the Oscar II, otherwise you'll get gushing 15 bar pressure.

My problem with the machine currently is that I'm getting a low yield. From a 17g dose I get 20ml max before blonding. My temperature seems okay, based on how hot it is immediately after the pour... so I'm not sure what to do. Have any of you found that the standard Oscar baskets require a much higher dosage than the recommended 14g? I'm not getting any screw indent on my pucks, so maybe I'll try updosing tomorrow.

christosjr1

#23: Post by christosjr1 »

The original double basket 03000073 if i recall the number correctly, holds up to 19,5 g easily and nearly touching the shower. That way you can have higher yield with no channeling and late blonding. I brew only with a naked portafilter and i have comfirmed this.

jfduque3

#24: Post by jfduque3 »

Looks stunning!