Nuova Simonelli Oscar 1 bad aftertaste

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
aerohaith

#1: Post by aerohaith »

Hi all
New to the game. Just received an old Oscar v1 from a friend. Working fine, however it has a bad after taste coming from the group head. He feels it's coming from the boiler as it is the only place he couldn't have a look at. Has been cleaned and flushed many times but no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mashie

#2: Post by Mashie »

What is your puck prep routine? What kind of grinder do you have?

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Is this aftertaste present in the water alone? Try drawing some of the water from the grouphead into a glass, allowing it to cool, and tasting it. It may taste a little flat since it's boiled water, but that would rule out your friend's thinking that it's the boiler.

PS: Keep in mind the Oscar is a heat exchanger espresso machine -- you never drink water from the steam boiler. See Heat Exchanger vs. Double Boiler Espresso Machines for longer explanation.
Dan Kehn

aerohaith (original poster)

#4: Post by aerohaith (original poster) »

I've not tried it myself yet, but previous owner is pretty consistent and experienced. He also has sette 270.

aerohaith (original poster)

#5: Post by aerohaith (original poster) »

Thanks
Yes, drinking the water was more trying to trace where the problem is. Hence thinking it could be coming from the boiler (as the only part that was not inspected).

I will give it ago in a couple of days once received.

In case, water still tastes bad after cooling, where do I go from here?