Nuova Simonelli Appia continuous key flashing on both groups

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
gr8gadsby

#1: Post by gr8gadsby »

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could help me with our machine. Yesterday both Continuous Keys were flashing so we looked it up in the manual and all it told us was to turn the machine for 5 sec and turn it on again. We did this and we also changes the water filter. It was still working (but the lights were blinking) today until finally the keys were not lit up and it isn't making any sound at all. Any ideas?

victoriacoffees

#2: Post by victoriacoffees »

Can you brew a normal shot? What does your level indicator show?
John V.

gr8gadsby (original poster)

#3: Post by gr8gadsby (original poster) »

Nope, the whole machine shut down. The manual says this.. "if the delivery time limit has been reached (120 seconds), the flowmeter has not transmitted the programmed number of water counts and the led for the continuous key will flash". I am not sure what that means and shutting the machine off and on doesn't work.

victoriacoffees

#4: Post by victoriacoffees »

The flashing keys could mean a couple of things, all related to water:
-flowmeters are bad (unlikely if both are flashing);
-scale buildup in your lines;
-group solenoid bad (not likely both failed);
-auto refill solenoid bad;

If you have a good group solenoid, use it to test the groups. Its unlikely both failed at the same time but not unheard of and its an easy check.

What does your level indicator read?
John V.

#5: Post by gr8gadsby (original poster) »

It reads 5. The machine isn't working if I turn it on. Just the power light comes on and nothing else.

victoriacoffees

#6: Post by victoriacoffees »

Sounds like you need hit the reset button, which I believe is located near the heating element.

My guess would be the boiler is empty.

Unplug the machine, turn off the water, and drain the boiler. It is possible the boiler is empty due to faulty refill solenoid or clogged inlet pipe. If you are not comfortable, call you regular service tech for assistance. But if you are, does water flow out the drain pipe? If it does, close the drain and move onto the next step. If it does not, follow that pipe to the boiler and remove it, checking for scale.

Next, follow your refill line to the boiler and remove it, checking for scale.
John V.

#7: Post by gr8gadsby (original poster) »

Thanks! I will let you know tomorrow what happened. You've been helpful :)