Not your average set up, some may call it a mismatch, I call it match made in heaven

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
marteccino

#1: Post by marteccino »

Wonder how much cost that doser I am about to remove from major, but probably few times more than that machine new, because that Motta tamper ($35) in the chute costed about tmhalf the price of that new espresso maker, but I couldn't be more impressed especially when I said am never gonna buy another machine...it even came with non pressurized baskets out of the box
Little less impressed with mazzer tho...

dyno

#2: Post by dyno »

Satisfying espresso on a super low budget is always fun. I never liked the Mazzer adjustment ring nor the retention but I'm sure you'll find a solution or an inexpensive alternative.

Advertisement
marteccino (original poster)

#3: Post by marteccino (original poster) »

So this thing is heated in no time, literally minutes and few more and you get super hot group head too,
It has stainless steel boiler that someone said has about 220ml (was surprised to learn gaggia classic has aluminium), is super small and I wouldn't want anything else at the moment. It costed $70 in sale and what surprised me most were non pressurized baskets. This might be their only version coming with standard steam wand found on rancilio Silvia too, even tho I don't do cappuccino so not using it.
I am looking into opv valve and dimmer mod to lower pressure and regulate flow. Might cut out the bottom of portafilter to make it naked
Will try to measure water temp out of grouphead once I get some kitchen thermometer.
Have pressure gauge somewhere so perhaps can install that one once I have all tooling available, but honestly I am still impressed and if it wasn't last piece, I would buy 2 of them...

Another thing I forgot, even tho here is hard water ( kettle has residue after few uses,) I ain't worried as I was with e61 based machine for which I was getting filters and even buying soft water besides all other hassle I had with it and plan only flush it with vinegar once a month or so. All in all, I remember using e61 was drama each time I used it perhaps exacerbated by safety valve exploding on me with failed thermostat, add long pre heating, etc..., and in comparison this little black plastic toy is a breeze and joy to use and I already checked everything that can fail so am ready haha

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by pizzaman383 »

It's the grinder.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

#5: Post by marteccino (original poster) »

I got this mazzer for low price too, have another grinder so wasn't using this, but will once I remove the doser.
it is ultimately for coffee shops, since I think it offers best grinding once you grind plenty of coffee at once (to the doser), but there are better alternatives for single use that most likely provide more unified grind too these days. The adjuster is super sensitive so slight turn make a difference, but it seem to grind a little slow am thinking now for 83mm burrs. I have another grinder with 64 and that seem to grind a bit faster was my impression, but didn't measure it.
Well we'll see how it goes but am excited again about espresso especially after super cheap machine giving me joy to use it that I would never expect

#6: Post by marteccino (original poster) »

pizzaman383 wrote:It's the grinder.
I am more impressed by that machine than that grinder

#7: Post by marteccino (original poster) »

Out of curiosity I found that doser part, and must say didn't expect that one, even tho I think it's cheaper in Europe...but damn I might put it on sale perhaps

Advertisement
JmanEspresso

#8: Post by JmanEspresso »

Im a huge fan of the Major, if you get used to how the adjusment collar needs to be adjusted, there is almost no need for anything else. The retention is near zero, and the cup quality is tip top. What I did, was take 3-4 different color sharpies, and color in the notches in the most used area.

If you're not blown away by it, perhaps the burrs are worn out. I think its a possibility especially because you say its not very fast. The Major should shred 18grams in a few seconds tops, faster if you keep an amount of beans loaded in the throat/use a hopper.

#9: Post by marteccino (original poster) replying to JmanEspresso »

Adjusting is no problem. However my machine either chokes or minimum grind starts slow but then pours still fast.

I am glad have this major bought it for good price. I heard they suffer from misalignment and the newer dosing machines such as niche are superior and more straightforward, but I don't know. Currently I don't have naked filter to tell. The taste is good. But I figured I won't be able to to make espresso with stable temperature...

What is color sharpies in the notches?

Actually now it grinds very fast. I made it lean forward so back is raised or angled too.

But what is the appeal of major? Never understood why size difference make a difference... But lastly I read by coincidence that 83mm don't heat up coffee? Even tho I don't think even 64mm or smaller burrs heat it up.
I think ppl give more credit to major and jolly or any 64mm can deliver the same result or no? I believe 83mm burrs sole reason is to grind faster, but some ppl claim they can taste it. But again I am not expert.

Overally I am happy with it. I removed the silver doser, put the blue funnel from plastic bottle and exposed body I simply taped over with the grey tape.

#10: Post by marteccino (original poster) »

Feel embarrassed by this post. Not gonna even read it, but I remember I was excited about this cheap machine thinking I will be able to tweak temperature, etc when I bought it But I can't. The boiler is too small despite I tried various tricks with temp surfing, steam mode, etc. The coffee almost always finishes with few white tail drops indicating dropping temperature even already after some ~15 seconds of extraction.

Anyhow I didnt plan to buy another machine when I bought this, due to hassle, water hardness, etc but I did so not having machine some 2 years before it I forgot a thing or two about espresso itself too in the meanwhile, so was excited about unknown too hoping for the best.

Lastly it's still great machine for what it is and I still prefer it over my previous e61 any day. Just the coffee won't probably ever have nicely uniformed brown crema after some full extraction of 20-25 seconds or even less as it always has those few whitish drops at the end, but it still tastes good. And I don't drink espresso everyday too, and I suspect it may be due to high chlorogenic acid that I suspect gets released more during pressurized extraction than some other methods.

marteccino wrote:Wonder how much cost that doser I am about to remove from major, but probably few times more than that machine new, because that Motta tamper ($35) in the chute costed about tmhalf the price of that new espresso maker, but I couldn't be more impressed especially when I said am never gonna buy another machine...it even came with non pressurized baskets out of the box
Little less impressed with mazzer tho...