Not so precise IMS Precision basket?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
CantinaCoffee
Sponsor

#1: Post by CantinaCoffee »

I just received an 18/22 IMS Precision basket, ordered from Amazon. I noticed that the group of holes are nowhere near centered in the middle of the basket. It's a little hard to see in the pics, but hopefully you can see that that the holes are off-center by about 1/8".

Notice the larger space on the right side:

Larger space on the left side in this pic:

Has anyone observed this issue? Is it worth exchanging it for another one? Or should I just ditch it, and go with VST instead?

Maybe being off centered doesn't actually matter? ...But it also doesn't inspire a ton of confidence in their quality control.

Idfixe

#2: Post by Idfixe »

Have you asked IMS? Seems odd.

CantinaCoffee (original poster)
Sponsor

#3: Post by CantinaCoffee (original poster) »

I haven't asked IMS yet -- probably should, but I'm just anticipating the usual manufacturers response of "it's fine, it's within spec."

I'll go ahead and email them for informations sake....

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

From what I see on the Amazon listing, it says it's returnable. If you're not satisfied with their response, return it.
Dan Kehn

K7

#5: Post by K7 »

The second photo seems off-centered (no rim on the right side) so I'm not sure it tells much. I do see your point in the first photo.

I wonder if it's a fake. Lots of fake brand names on Amazon... A basket like this would be a prime candidate because of its high margin and it's relatively easy to fool unsuspecting buyers.

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC »

I've had the same thing come from established coffee vendors, in regards to off-centered IMS baskets. They're annoying when you notice them, but I don't think there's any real negative affects on extraction that I have seen or tasted.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

CantinaCoffee (original poster)
Sponsor

#7: Post by CantinaCoffee (original poster) »

I received a response from IMS. They said it's normal.... However, it's always going to bother me knowing that the holes aren't centered and wondering if it might be affecting the shot... so I'm returning to Amazon.

John49

#8: Post by John49 replying to CantinaCoffee »

The offset will effect the extraction. If you check the bottom of the spent puck you will see a dark band corresponding to the wide shoulder. I would return the basket.

Andy64

#9: Post by Andy64 »

I have two IMS baskets. The idea was to have two naked porta filters so I could pull two shots with minimal delay between them. For morning lattes for my wife and I, for example.

What if found was that, although each basket was OK, there are significant differences between the two. One took about 22 seconds to extract 36 grams (18 in, 36 out: 1:2 ratio), the other was over thirty seconds.

Thinking it was my sloppy grind, distribute, tamp routine; I took a close up look at the two and there are relatively large differences in the shape (and size) of the holes. I did a very rough test by filling each with water and timing how long it took to drain out. One was approximately 5 seconds, the other 6. FWIW, that experiment is easily repeatable and provides consistent results.

My feeling is that either basket might be OK but, the quality control is suspect. Also I read through several comparisons of IMS vs VST baskets and it makes me wonder how much the results might change if multiple samples from each manufacturer were used.

I haven't tried the VST, but I think I will. Also, I've noticed that the lot numbers of the two IMS baskets I have are different. I suspect there wouldn't be as much variance between basket from the same lot.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#10: Post by baldheadracing »

Andy64 wrote:I have two IMS baskets. The idea was to have two naked porta filters so I could pull two shots with minimal delay between them. For morning lattes for my wife and I, for example.

What if found was that, although each basket was OK, there are significant differences between the two ...
VST's are supposed to do what you want: Multiple baskets - of the same capacity - all have the same hole size, giving the same results across baskets (of the same size).

AFAIK, IMS has never made that claim. Their claim was that the holes in each basket are supposed to be the same size. That's not the same as the same hole size across baskets.

I haven't tried either in that capacity. However, I can use the same grind setting and dose 7.5g in my VST7, 15g in my VST15, and 20g in my VST20 and get the same 1:2 ratio out in the same time (+/- about 1g out, +/- about 1 second). The 20g does taste a bit different, but I only use that basket for Americanos to make nitro coffee.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada