Not so naked portafilter - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
RayJohns (original poster)

#31: Post by RayJohns (original poster) »

Here's a video showing the little spout restrictor that I made tonight. It seems to be working pretty well so far!

When I made it initially, the holes were 1/64th smaller. This caused the flow to be just a little too slow (and I was in danger of the shot backing up too far and over flowing the rim of the "cup" part). To solve that problem, I enlarged all 6 holes to .094" (using a 3/32nd drill). This sped up the flow just a hair, but still provided enough restriction so that the espresso "pools up" a bit and ends up coming out all 6 holes, instead of seeking a path down one side of the original spout or the other.

Anyway, here's the video showing its use for the first time:

KnowGood

#32: Post by KnowGood »

RayJohns wrote:This sped up the flow just a hair, but still provided enough restriction so that the espresso "pools up" a bit and ends up coming out all 6 holes, instead of seeking a path down one side of the original spout or the other.
Ray, you should offer those little inserts as they would work on regular portafilter and help with even, split extractions. :)
Lyndon
_________
LMWDP #251

Advertisement
dcupstateNY

#33: Post by dcupstateNY »

Ray ... you da man! Truly enjoyed the video 8)
Ciao,
Dave

LMWDP: #346

benhogan

#34: Post by benhogan »

Fantastic. It's amazing the number ingenious things folks are able to do in this forum. Amazing work!!!!