Newbie questions about pumps

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
exoplanetary

#1: Post by exoplanetary »

Edit: I didn't make it clear that the second machine I bought was a 2005 La San Marco. Sorry for the confusion.

I feel like I keep swinging and missing. I bought a 2 group 230v 1988 Astoria Sonia because I read on these forums that it would be easy to convert to 110v but found out it was a bad idea so then I bought a single group 110v 2005 La San Marco 85-16M without the pump. The lady gave a great deal and I'm working out a way to get the pump.

Her uncle and aunt own the bakery shop and agreed to leave everything that was attached to the property owner. So, if I can't get the pump or it turns out to be more than the price of a new pump to get a plumber out. I would like to know what options I have available.

This is going to be for a home application and I'll be using a 5 gallon jug to pump out of. I probably will only make 2 shots a day. So, do I really need a big beefy pump or could I get away with something smaller?

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Assuming that it is a commercial machine intended for an off-board pump, you're probably looking at on the order of $100-150 for a pump head and $200-250 for a motor. The original pump and motor should be connected to a shut-off valve, much like an ice maker or dishwasher would be connected. Hopefully you can convince them that it truly is part of the machine, and not part of the shop's plumbing.

You should also run a water-pressure regulator (about $75) and some kind of water treatment to reduce or better prevent scaling of the machine ($150 and up, depending on the incoming water's composition). Edit: Not worth "fighting" for these, as ones from 1988 are probably worth replacing at this point.

exoplanetary (original poster)

#3: Post by exoplanetary (original poster) »

Yeah, I hear you about the shut off valve. I think they might be doing something odd. I don't know.

The la san marco is a 2005 so it's newer.

Okay, I figured with commercial it would be one way but was hoping maybe I could also use a cheap-o pump. Does the pump create pressure inside the machine too?

JRising
Team HB

#4: Post by JRising »

Pumps create flow. Restrictions to that flow create pressure.

If you want something that can run at 110V that won't cost you thousands of dollars and won't need hundreds of dollars of pump and motor attached, you should get a little domestic machine. You could outboard a little 41 watt Ulka pump to run the machine, instead of a rotary pump, but it's an awfully big machine to be running at the limitations of a vibe pump.

#5: Post by exoplanetary (original poster) »

Well, I was wrong. Drove 70 miles (again) through the smoke covered lands of Washington state and got the pump. (Some one in the same city as the seller was selling just a LSM pump so I thought the worst)

The seller was trying to get me to not get the pump because she thought it would be a big hassle so I needed to see if there was a cheap option to replace. I wasn't sure if we'd even have permission until last night. I really lucked out here.

Paid 300 combined for the machine and a SM90 grinder (rebranded Super Jolly.) Dreams really do come true.

pcrussell50

#6: Post by pcrussell50 »

Jeff wrote:Assuming that it is a commercial machine intended for an off-board pump, you're probably looking at on the order of $100-150 for a pump head and $200-250 for a motor. The original pump and motor should be connected to a shut-off valve, much like an ice maker or dishwasher would be connected. Hopefully you can convince them that it truly is part of the machine, and not part of the shop's plumbing.
Sounds about right. I outboarded my rotary pump. And I paid a little more than $200 for a motor AND a brand new Procon 1 pump. The motor is bigger than you would want inside an espresso machine though not obscenely so. I have it under the kitchen sink next to the softening filter.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

#7: Post by exoplanetary (original poster) »

So, didn't cross post but someone said this in another forum after I mentioned that I'll be pumping from a 5 gallon jug:

If you're thinking of drawing from a 5g jug.. I would suggest using https://www.amazon.com/Dispenser-Dispen ... 24&sr=8-34

He also said: To run this second pump concurrently with my pump so it takes the stress off the pump pulling from a negative pressure position.

Idk, seems like overkill to me and nobody brought it up here..

I'm including pics of the pump that came with the La San Marco. I also have a water filter that I'll attach to the line. Any last thoughts about any other equipment I should look into for my 5 gallon jug set up? Jeff mentioned getting a water pressure regulator.